• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stable foam?

fishy

How do I create stable foam? (the type you whisk and skim off the top not the isi kind)

I recently tried just pure cream and a touch of liquid hickory smoke but it turned in to cream sooner than i wanted it to.

I have agar and gelatin in mind but how do i use it? just desolve it in and go?

thank you :)

Edited by fishy (log)

Lecithin works. I have a pot of Soy Lecithin from a healthfood shop. Comes as granules. Just dissolve in the liquid. Don't need much. Half a tea spoon in a half a milk pan of whatever I want to froth seems to do the trick.

You're missing a surfactant to stabilize the air-water interface. This why lecithin is used. Adding anything that stabilizes emulsions would probably do the trick: pure lecithin, egg yolks, mustard powder, etc.