• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing natural hog casings

hansjoakim

Hi,

A friend of mine purchased almost 15 meters of natural hog casings for me at a local butcher yesterday. The butcher told him that they usually stored their casings in a brine under refrigeration.

I am planning on using the casings in a couple of weeks time, and I have for now put them in a 5% brine in my fridge. Ruhlman and Polcyn's "Charcuterie" suggests that natural casings stored in a brine will keep roughly a month in the refrigerator, and I guess I should be able to use the casings within a month's time. However, do I need to use a stronger brine to keep them that long, or will a 5% brine do? Will an overnight soak be sufficient time to rid the casings of the salty flavour before filling?

This is my first time at making the real deal at home, so any thoughts and advice are very welcome!

Thanks!

Long term store 'dry' in salt, in a closed jar, in the fridge.

But a couple of weeks isn't long term.

Brine % means different things to different people - beware!

To some it means % salt by weight in the brine, so saturated is about 30% at room temp.

To others it means the % of saturation ...

Tip/Hint before the first time -- buy a kitchen sink plughole strainer (normally used to prevent potato peelings etc from going down the drain). Its VERY useful when you are rinsing and flushing out your casings before use!

ADDED - a couple of hours soaking, followed by a few minutes of rinsing/flushing/playing, is fine for salt-stored casings. Overnight is maybe a bit much.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Thanks, guys!

Really helpful advice there, thanks dougal. When I think of brines, I understand e.g. a 5% brine to be 5 parts salt per 100 parts water (50 grams salt per liter water). Perhaps I'm wrong? Should a 5% brine technically be 5 parts salt and 95 parts water?

Ah, the confusion. And don't get me started on baker's math ;)

I've successfully stored hog casings for a year without brine. Just throw a handful of salt on them and leave them in a plastic bag in the back of the fridge. Been doing this for years; it was recommended to me by a casing supplier as the best way to store casings long-term.

I've never had a need to freeze casings, but a chef friend does it all the time and hasn't had any problems.

It seems to be gospel that you need to run water through the inside of hog casings to rinse them out, despite the fact that it can be a pain in the butt if you're doing volume. I used to do it, too, but I've since worked at high-end artisanal charcuterie makers that don't, and there was nothing wrong with their product. They just soak casings for a few hours, none of the running-water-down-the-inside. I now usually don't bother with this step, and haven't noticed any difference.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I've successfully stored hog casings for a year without brine. Just throw a handful of salt on them and leave them in a plastic bag in the back of the fridge. Been doing this for years; it was recommended to me by a casing supplier as the best way to store casings long-term.

I've never had a need to freeze casings, but a chef friend does it all the time and hasn't had any problems.

It seems to be gospel that you need to run water through the inside of hog casings to rinse them out, despite the fact that it can be a pain in the butt if you're doing volume. I used to do it, too, but I've since worked at high-end artisanal charcuterie makers that don't, and there was nothing wrong with their product. They just soak casings for a few hours, none of the running-water-down-the-inside. I now usually don't bother with this step, and haven't noticed any difference.

I do this as well,just cover with pickling salt, and refrigerate.I have some that are more than a year and are still good

Bud

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies!

I made my first batch of fresh sausage on saturday, and they turned out delicious! I used the fresh garlic sausage recipe from Ruhlman's and Polcyn's book, and me and my dinner guests found them very tasty indeed. I followed the metric measurements, used about 1.8 kg of pork shoulder butt and 400 gr of additional fat, and we found the sausages juicy and flavourful. Simple, but that was exactly what I was looking for in my first batch of sausges. I had dinner guests over, and served the sausages together with braised pork belly, potato puree and spring vegetables. A true celebration of the pig.

Thanks again guys!