• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cereal Milk Ice Cream

jakey

I just made my first cereal milk ice cream which tasted great, but the finished product was half of what I expected. Everything looked fine for quantity until I churned it and then there was half of what I normally would have. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and had this happen and how to fix it. Do I make a batch of twice as much, which I would have to make the ice cream in two batches, or maybe reduce the cereal? Not sure about that because the flavor is there. Would it diminish the taste if I reduce the cereal? Churn more or less? I'm really at a loss on this since this is my first cereal ice cream. I've done other ice creams and never had this happen. Thanks.

I had never heard of such an ice cream until you mentioned it. The recipes I found online called for discarding the cereal completely after soaking it in the milk, and it called for only 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of cream.

What were the amounts of various ingredients you used? Normally my ice cream recipes call for 3 to 3 1/2 cups of liquid. And the inclusions are not necessarily discarded. Could it be that your recipe is not very big to begin with???

Just some thoughts.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just used a basic recipe that usually makes about a quart. calls for 1 1/4 cup of whole milk and 1 1/4 cup cream, 4 egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar. Added a tablespoon or so of invert sugar and 2 cups cereal. I chilled the liquid for about 6 hours before churning. The ice cream bowl had been in the freezer a couple of days. I did discard the spent cereal, but got as much liquid out of it as I could.

Try allowing for the liquid the cereal is going to soak up by adding extra milk to the base. Or soak the cereal in the milk and measure your milk after straining instead of adding cereal to the finished custard then straining.

I just throw it out; don't think I can dry out the mush it becomes afterwords. But it's a good idea, maybe to toast the cereal that I put in when the ice cream for texture. It would probably stay crunchy longer. Not that I've had a problem with keeping the ice cream around long enough for the cereal bits to get soft or anything. But a nice idea. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up the spent cereal issue, with some reading I did on laiskonis' blog.

He uses the spent bread much from his cinnamon toast ice cream to flavor a creme anglaise for the dessert, and he also uses it to make a puffed snack item by combining it with tapioca starch.