• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need desserts that highlight fresh eggs

ejacobs

A friend of mine just got chickens and has offered me some fresh eggs to bake with if I will share the dessert with her. I was thinking of doing something custard-based - creme brulee, or an ice cream - but was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for desserts that will really highlight the eggs?

Well you can use the egg whites for souffles and mousses, you can also do an "eggy" cake, I also think I once saw a recipe where they created sweet fried eggs, by frying the whites combined with sugar and a yolk made of some form of candy filled with a custard filling, I can't seem to find it, but it seemed like a fun thing to try out.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

Souffleed omelette? Curds? Bombes? French buttercreams? Huevos Reales? Does it have to be from the sweet kitchen? If no, oeufs en gelee? Omelettes? Brouillard? Fettuccini alla carbonara? Homage to the Southern picnic: devilled eggs? Or that fine, fine lily-gilding of Persian chelo: ultra long grain rice (dom siah or ambar du) with crusty, crunchy tah dig, and crowned with butter, sumaq, and raw egg yolk?

Sorry, would propose more things, but I'm off to find my own fresh eggs!

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Eggs in Purgatory

An interesting choice for a dessert.

Or hey, maybe a faux version, using a raspberry-ginger sauce, sweetened goat cheese, and brioche.

Me, I'd do a gently flavored egg nog ice cream.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Floating island - nice eggy custard w meringue islands.

French vanilla souffle

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

A souffled omelet with strawberries & kirsch. Strawberries are in season now, too.

http://www.challengedairy.com/recipes/breakfast-foods/grandmas-omelette-souffl%C3%A9-with-strawberries

Chef Hubert Keller says this is his grandmother's omelet, & he cooked it for his wife when they were courting. I've never tried this omelet (it's on The List). Love the story, though.

Since farm eggs are of uneven size and weight, I suggest weighing the eggs for this recipe. Shirley Corriher in Cookwise gives 1.75 oz or 50 g for 1 large-size, whole egg, out of shell.

A real old-fashioned egg custard pie - it's supposed to taste eggy.

1 cup heavy cream

1 1/2 cups milk

4 eggs large

2 egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg

1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Line a 9-inch pie plate with your favorite pie pastry

line with foil and add pie weights or dry beans

Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Reserve foil.

Mix the cream and milk together and scald in a small saucepan or heat in microwave.

set aside to cool till just barely warm.

Skim off the "skin" that forms on top.

Beat the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl.

Add the sugar, salt, nutmeg and vanilla and mix well.

Pour into the cooled pie shell.

Tear foil into strips and cover the exposed edges of the pie shell.

Place on baking sheet on center shelf of oven.

Bake for 20 minutes

Reduce heat to 350°F

Set timer for 20 minutes and check with a thin bladed knife, inserted near the center.

If it comes out clean, pie is done. If not bake an additional 5 to 8 minutes.

The center should still be wobbly.

Cool on a wire rack for at least an hour then refrigerate for a minimum of 2-3 hours.

You can top with whipped cream but it isn't necessary, this stands on its own.

You can make this a day ahead and refrigerate overnight, the flavor improves.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A friend of mine just got chickens and has offered me some fresh eggs to bake with if I will share the dessert with her. I was thinking of doing something custard-based - creme brulee, or an ice cream - but was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for desserts that will really highlight the eggs?

It's slightly ironic that a custard shouldn't taste 'eggy', or that a scrambled egg flavour is a sign of an overcooked custard. So as much as I love creme brulee I wouldn't want one that tasted like egg!

How about a simple victoria sponge? Filled with whipped cream and jam. If you have loads of eggs you could use a (non-eggy) custard/cream filling instead of straight whipped cream...

Or if you don't mind separating them, you could make a large pavlova with the egg whites, and a custard or ice-cream with the yolks.

I do think the most eggy thing you can do for dessert is a dessert omelet. I love them. Fill with jam (apricot is good)and dust with 10x. Of course, custard pie as Andiesenjie says (I just made one last week) is good; also lemon meringue pie uses the whole egg in two parts; and the ile flottante is another good idea.

Thanks for all the ideas! These all sound like a ton of fun to try. As to why desserts, in my house, I'm the baker and asked for eggs in exchange for sweets. That said, I'm sure my friend who has the chickens will be trying all sorts of things. More ideas welcome, and I'll report back!