• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for London/Lake District/Edinburgh/Dublin

My Boss finally (!) approved my summer vacation, so I'll be heading across the pond with my extended family to spend two weeks in London, the Lake District (probably Windemere), Edinburgh, and Dublin.

I've already made a reservation for my birthday dinner at St. John, but not having been to any of these places before I would heartily appreciate any suggestion from the wider eGullet community. We are a group of 8, ranging from 9 to 74. The kids have been well-trained on long, fancy dinners so that won't be an issue, but we would need some pointers to those restaurants / fish & chips / quick food joints to fit in to what I would expect is going to be a rather hectic touring pace. So really any suggestion, at any level, is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Hi Sartain,

having lived and studied in Edinburgh for 4 years, I was privileged to have spent a couple of memorable dining nights in the many culinary highlights this city has to offer:

Here's a quick pick of what I think has to be experienced in the Burgh:

1. For some authentic Scottish flavours such as haggies, tatters etc. both The White Hart and The Last Drop on Grassmarket are fantastic.

2. The best fish and chips I have ever had and that have been awarded many times come from L'Alba D'Oro on 7 Henderson Row, over in New Town. Fantastic choice of batters and some high quality cod to boot.

3. Fine dining is a close tie between Number One on Princess Street (below the Balmoral Hotel) and the Prestonfield House Hotel. Both are great, although I slightly preferred the atmosphere at Prestonfield.

4. For some outstanding seafood you simply can't beat The Mussel Inn Restaurant on 61-65 Rose Street. As the name suggests, the mussels are to die for!

Enjoy your trip, I hope I could help a tad!

Johannes

Thanks, Johannes. Really looking forward to some authentic Scottish flavors and will keep your recommendations close at hand. I'm longing for the stroll down the Royal Mile already!

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

If you want some more ideas about fine dining in Edinburgh, combined with quality seasonal scottish produce then head to The Kitchin on Commercial Quay in Leith. Tom Kitchin strives to get as much locally sourced material into his menu, and whether for lunch of dinner you'll get a modern taste of Scotland.

In the Leith area other to consider are Martin Wisharts and the Vintner rooms. All offer great food. Enjoy.