• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite home made sandwiches

gfweb

Well, I can't take credit for this one, but it's one of my favorites. It's from a restaraunt called Something Natural on Nantucket: Avocado, cheddar and Chutney

Another simple favorite of mine Take a pita bread put a couple of pieces of cucumber some sharp feta and honey.

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

W.C. Fields

Jam and cream cheese is good. But sliced american...ewww.

I don't know what Mom was thinking...thankfully it wasn't a regular occurence!

Current favourite sandwich at home is the croque monsieur (and croque madame, if I'm feeling in an egg-y mood). Something about the combination of bechamel and melty gruyere is just so damn good.

Hard to pick a favorite. Funny for a girl who did not grow up with sandwiches- the European parents had no clue. My first tuna sandwich at a friend's house was a revelation. Mom tried to model other parents but I got things like mashed avocado on a single slice of bread with garlic salt, or a fried egg on a piece of bread also just folded over.

My current top three would be:

- dead ripe tomatoes on a lightly toasted baguette that has been smeared with mayo (salt and red pepper flakes to taste)

- if the tomatoes are not dead ripe I will do the same adding mashed avocado (Hass please), bacon and a spicy lettuce green

-again on a toasted baguette- longanisa that has been baked to release a bit of fat and get some carmelization, marinated cucumbers & onions - the bread smeared with mayo and sriracha, and cilantro piled in. This one needs to be pushed on to smush together the flavors.

Simplicity - thick sliced, in season, heirloom tomatoes and crisp iceberg lettuce, with mayonnaise on Metropolitan Bakery whole wheat bread or Arnold's thin sliced white sandwich bread.

I immediately thought of the nostalgic sandwiches of my childhood. One is a home-grown tomato sandwich(without the lettuce Holly adds), mayo, s+p on Arnold or Pepp Farm white bread.

Similarly, a thin-sliced fresh onion sandwich on white with mayo and s+p; this was my father's and my favorite to make and eat together. I still make this every year when the Vidalias are new.

Then, in imitation of Pal's Jr's in NJ, a "sloppy joe" consisting of ham, turkey, swiss, onion, and coleslaw made with 1000 island dressing on good rye. God, that was good.

My mom used to give me strawberry jam and Kraft cheese slice sandwiches when I was a kid. That was disgusting.

Okay, that's one of worst sandwiches I can imagine. It rivals one my MIL made for my husband in kindergarten: peanut butter and mayo on Wonder Bread.

I'm pretty conservative about sandwiches, and stick to just a few types, and always make them exactly the same.

BLT: Only in summer when tomatoes are great.

Turkey: On white bread with butter and lettuce, but only if it's the day after Thanksgiving. Otherwise on a baguette or batard with garlic mayo, chopped pepperoncini, tomato, lettuce.

Turkey, ham, coleslaw and Russian dressing on rye.

Tuna melt: my own quirky tuna salad and my own quirky method.

Cheese and Pickle: cheese and pickles can vary, within reason. Always with dijon mustard. White bread preferred. Radishes allowed in.

PB and raspberry jam or PB and Nutella. Multigrain bread preferred. Rarely made except for air travel or hiking. I would jump off a bridge before I would put bananas or honey in a sandwich.

Grilled cheese. Has to be cheddar, and has to be grilled w/butter in a cast iron skillet.

Banh mi. On a baguette, but never sour. Must have pate, either grilled shrimp or Asian BBQ pork, mayo, Maggi, cukes, pickled daikon and carrot, cilantro, hot peppers.

Meatloaf on toasted homemade white bread, with scrapes of Dijon and mayo. It's what's I'm having for lunch tomorrow, and it makes me sure that tomorrow will be an excellent day.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

recently i discovered sardines and avocado. i don't know i have gone my whole life without sardines! i have started buying them in bulk :laugh: the only thing it needs is a little olive oil and s&p. mmm...

I hate a soggy Reuben to the point that I rarely order one in a restaurant. At home I toast the kraut in a pan to dry it out and then place it between the(home-made)corned beef slices. The Russian goes atop the Swiss(an affront to NATO) and the whole thing is pan-grilled with a bit of butter on the rye.

Toasting the kraut sounds like a great idea. I put mine between two pieces of paper towels (or however many it takes) and roll a rolling pin over it until the paper is dry.

But toasting would work, too. Never thought of that.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Cold sandwich: tuna fish guacamole with queso fresco, a nice slice of black tomato, and plenty of salt.

Are you saying "tuna fish, guacamole, with queso fresco"? Or do you have a recipe for tuna fish guacamole. Because if you do, I'd like to know more about it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

what a fine thread!

Ive forgotten how good avocado at the correct ripeness adds to a sandwich

and Ill try the sardine one soon.

I get from trader joe's smoked mackerel so might try that!

1] feta cheese smashed w kalamata olives spread on the bread, then pile on roasted vegetables, and second slice of bread. Tangy, salty, sweet.

2]liverwurst and very crispy bacon. Tomato is good.

3] Marmite and butter

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Meatloaf on toasted homemade white bread, with scrapes of Dijon and mayo. It's what's I'm having for lunch tomorrow, and it makes me sure that tomorrow will be an excellent day.

I agree with the meatloaf sandwich though I don't toast the bread on mine.

Squishy white bread, please. Slather with mayo (or Miracle Whip...whatev's) mixed with horseradish. Add a nice slab/slice of meatloaf. That's it. I'm good. :cool:

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A BLT during peak tomato season. Thick crispy bacon, perfect tomatoes, fresh lettuce, excellent white bread toasted w/ homemade mayo.

Saucisson/cornichon--thinly sliced French saucisson on a good baguette w/ hot mustard and sliced cornichons.

Open faced Thanksgiving turkey leftover sandwich, w/ stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy.

Meatballs and mozzarella w/ a bit of red sauce on a hard roll or Italian bread.

Oooo..a sandwich thread.

Lemon chicken on rye ( chix/lemon juice and zest/capers/mayo/rocket)

Crisp crisp fatty bacon on white with a beautifully ripe sliced

tomato w heaps of black pepper

Sliced tamarillo's on wholegrain w heaps black pepper ( my current fave as it is winter downunder)

Cold canned creamed corn and bacon on any bread..lol

Ham off the Bone with grain mustard and gruyere

I cannot go a day without a sandwich. Sad but true! :rolleyes:

Peanut butter, honey, and banana. On squishy white bread, with an extra slice in the center to soak up the honey, which I add in copious quantities. The peanut butter has to be Jiff, smooth, although I usually like the crunchy in everything else. With a big glass of milk. I've also substituted applesauce for the bananas successfully, although it does make for a much messier sandwich. I ate one almost every day growing up. I also like ham and provolone with pesto mayo and lettuce on sourdough or an italian roll. Hmmm...breakfast time! And here I am, out of both bananas and applesauce :hmmm: ...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I get addicted to variations on the croque monsieur. Usually open-faced, toasted sourdough, melted cheese (goat or gruyere if I have any), mustard, thinly sliced shallots, sometimes tomato, ham (I love the Neiman Ranch jambon royalle) and thinly sliced apples or pears. It's fun cutting stuff while I wait for my stupid-slow toaster oven.

ham_sandwich_sm_crop.jpg

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

A BLT during peak tomato season. Thick crispy bacon, perfect tomatoes, fresh lettuce, excellent white bread toasted w/ homemade mayo.

Saucisson/cornichon--thinly sliced French saucisson on a good baguette w/ hot mustard and sliced cornichons.

Open faced Thanksgiving turkey leftover sandwich, w/ stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy.

Meatballs and mozzarella w/ a bit of red sauce on a hard roll or Italian bread.

Ah, yes, the BLT, how could I have forgotten that one, just as you describe. All the rest of yours, too. And a good hot oven grinder, crisped in the pizza oven, with olive oil, now that you've mentioned meatball sandwiches.

I'm going to go with Janeer and LindaK and cast another vote for the tomato-season BLT. Throw some grilled shrimp on it for an SBLT, and that'll do, too ...

But during winter ... hell, it was 102 degrees here today. I can't remember winter.

[snip]

[/snip]

LindaK, I love both of the above, but for the turkey, please toast the bread on one side only, then create sandwich on the untoasted side, 'k? Now I'm hungry, and BROKE! I guess IHOP is out of the question!:rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'll agree that a BLT during tomato season is pretty terrific.

But frankly, I often don't get that far. Who needs to take the time to wash lettuce and cook bacon when you can just slather a couple of pieces of white bread with mayo, stick a huge slice of just-picked-and-still-warm-from-the-garden-summer-sun tomato between 'em, and eat your sandwich over the kitchen sink while tomato juice runs down your arms.

Oh lordy and slap your grandma, that's some good eatin'.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

My recent favorite is rye bread, topped with thin sliced peppered hard salami, slice of tomato, and muenster on top. Toast in the toaster oven until the cheese is melted. Wow. This is seriously making me want a sandwich.

Ruebens are one of my favorites but instead of toasting the kraut, I squeeze dry before I put it on the bread. When my aunt was alive she made home made kraut. I remember helping her chop cabbage and it was sooo good on ruebens with my home made corned beef brisket. Good Gruyere or Emmentaler cheese makes a difference too. James Beard said to use Russian dressing in his 1958 cookbook but now days the bottled Russian dressing is a distant relative of his version. I use a mixture of Wishbone Russian dressing and Thousand island. I like to assemble it with the cheese, dressing, kraut, corned beef, more dressing then more cheese and top with another buttered slice of pumpernickle. This one is one of several I made recently for the family but alas it was store bought everything this time around. We usually have the 'real' thing after St. Pat's Day.

DSCF3070.jpg

BLT when tomatoes are just picked out of the garden is second on my list of favorite sandwiches.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Peanut butter & banana on whole wheat bread would have to be my most often made sandwich. Sometimes open-face on toast.

Plain old egg salad sandwiches are comfort food for me. I love them as is but for a treat, I love making myself the Egg Salad Sandwich Perfecta Mundo from Luna Cafe. The little bit of blue cheese, crisp bacon and peppery arugula elevate my childhood favorite to a new level.

After Thanksgiving, turkey sandwiches with little bits of dark meat picked off the carcass and held together with lots of Hellman's-Best Foods.

Some great sandwiches here indeed! I always celebrate FTD (first tomato day) with a BLT. I greatly enjoy a reuben. My go to sandwich, however, is on a baguette sliced lenghtwise to open, but not completely through. It is then toasted in a hot oven. I will slice cabbage very thin (#1 on a commercial Globe slicer) and season it with good olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and a bit of red wine vinegar. I shake that all up in a plastic bag. When the baguette is ready I drizzle it with a bit more oil and line one side with provalone cheese half slices and the other side with cooked salami half slices. The cheese is then covered with tomato slices and the cabbage mixture goes all down the center (heaps of it). This sandwich is then cut in half and served at once while still crusty on the outside.

HC