• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite home made sandwiches

gfweb

What are your favorites?

For me its a Reuben ...a hot meatloaf on rye with Russian dressing ...and a hot Lebanon Bologna with cole slaw and a touch of mustard on toasted pumpernickel.

Reuben for sure is number 1. Patty melts are a close second, as are tuna melts. BL-A-T's (bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato) are way up there. WAY up there. Plain, open-faced tomato with good (Best Foods or homemade) mayo on good (see, homemade) bread with dead ripe tomatoes are also way up there, but a fleeting summer treat. Salt of course.

Fried egg on toasted rye, with a wee bit of ketchup, paper thin onion and salt and pepper. Sour cream and paper thin onion slices with S&P, open face on toasted rye.

Worthy midnight or mid-day snacks, all.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I call it a salad sandwich:

toasted seeded wheat bread or sunflower whole wheat

mustard on one slice

mayo on the other slice

lettuce

a few spinach leaves

shredded carrots

sliced tomato

sliced red onion

sliced cucumber

paper-thin radish slices or radish sprouts

sunflower sprouts (or alfalfa or broccoli sprouts)

julienned red bell pepper

raw mushroom slices

drizzle of vinaigrette on greens before closing and cutting

-It often needs to be pressed firmly before cutting, and can be messy to eat.

Tomato paste, pesto, salami, cheese and herbs and then toast it in a panini press, that might be my favorite and there always is my guilty pleasure, hard boiled eggs on a soft bun with salt, pepper and a big amount of mayonnaise.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

When tomatoes are in season, i like a thick slice of a beefsteak sprinked with some balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and a little fresh moz. Whatever bread is in the house will work fine.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Simplicity - thick sliced, in season, heirloom tomatoes and crisp iceberg lettuce, with mayonnaise on Metropolitan Bakery whole wheat bread or Arnold's thin sliced white sandwich bread.

When tomatoes are not in season, grilled cheese sandwich with three year or older cheddar, cooked on an old fashioned (not Belgium style) waffle maker.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I've learned a lot about sandwich making from eating banh mi.

Obviously you need some good bread. A baguette is good; Italian bread will work fine.

A pate + cold cuts are a nice combination of textures, flavor and salt.

The thinnest layer of mayo possible. Or garlic butter, if I'm feeling expansive.

It should have something spicy. Maybe hot peppers, maybe a shot of sriracha.

Thinly sliced cucumber gives it some crunch and coolness to balance out the heat.

Why not some pickled vegetables? Some nice pickled radishes give sourness and a pleasant funk.

Some herbs- basil, cilantro, mint, whatever's on hand- for a vegetal aroma.

Any or all of those techniques will make for a good sandwich.

No. 1: A BLAT -- Petit Jean Meats peppered bacon, dead ripe tomato, large enough that one slice covers the bread, Hellman's Mayo (or homemade), leaf lettuce, and ripe avocado smushed up with a little lime, enough to be thickly spreadable. Avocado on one slice of toasted sourdough, mayo on the other; lettuce, tomato in the little "cup" formed by the lettuce, bacon, and the other slice. With a tall glass of iced tea, on the back deck, looking at the lake.

No. 2: A Reuben. Homemade rye. The best corned beef you can source in your town. Sauerkraut. I prefer spicy mustard 'sted of Thousand Island; so sue me.

No. 3 (with a bullet to No. 2 when it's cold): Grated fontina, Gruyere and Emmenthaler, with a couple of slices of bacon, grilled on sourdough, with a big mug of homemade French onion soup or tomato soup.

No. 4: Veggie. Ricotta or goat cheese spread on wheat bread, with sliced avocado, tomato, lettuce, sliced radishes.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1. Smoked brats or Italian sausages butterflied with sauerkraut

2. Bolillo bread with ham and cheese

3. "Jucy Lucy" hamburger (Pisciotta Farms 80/20) on Ciabatta (Bloom Bakery) with grilled red onion, fresh tomato if available

4. Spaghetti Sandwich: 2 uncooked lasagna noodles for the top and botton, put spaghetti and lots of sauce, then a meatball on top.....just kidding

A local place has a "Dead Texan"

"Two Texas toast grilled cheese sandwiches with a 1/3 lb. burger, 1 egg, 2 slices of bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, jalapenos, and peppercorn mayo in between."

the Cheese sandwiches (one with bacon, the other with jalapenos) are the bun....its unreal

Everything sounds great and its almost lunch time!

I forgot another favorite. Grilled Italian sausage with garlic and oregano-stewed onions and red peppers on a hoagie roll.

Count me on the Rueben bandwagon as well. It's the perfect sandwich. I also like mustard instead of Russian dressing on mine.

Same here.

Also, torta de pierna (roast pork with adobo on french bread), with mustard and pickled chiles.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I hate a soggy Reuben to the point that I rarely order one in a restaurant. At home I toast the kraut in a pan to dry it out and then place it between the(home-made)corned beef slices. The Russian goes atop the Swiss(an affront to NATO) and the whole thing is pan-grilled with a bit of butter on the rye.

If I happen to have some leftover smoked turkey or chicken (such as the capon in the smoker right now) and I happen to dice it up with some celery, red onion, sun dried tomatoes, mayo, and dijon, then put that on some homemade white bread with a leaf of romaine...well, it doesn't usually suck.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I invented this sandwich a long time ago:

decent bread

boloney

chunky peanut butter

honey

dill pickle spears

dont laugh i ate it for years. Id make it now with mortadella ( no pistacios please ) and maybe change to a 1/2 sour pickle.

i invented it when I was 6. boloney was better in the '50's thats why Id consider mortadella now.

:smile:

Edited by rotuts (log)

You need to try peanut butter and chocolate, just smear on the peanut butter and sprinkle on some hagelslag! If you don't live in Holland, you can use shaves chocolate or even nutella.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

you see: peanutbutter goes well with "precessed meats"

try adding the honey and the pickle

report back

isnt peanutbutter and chocolate a Reese's Cup? i think I give them out on halloween!

Edited by rotuts (log)

it varies. right now i am going back and forth between two:

1. black forest ham with provolone picante on a hearty rye bread.

2. grinder: sub roll that is cut in half and slightly hollowed out. toast in the oven. miracle whip on one side, italian dressing on the other. ham, cappacola, sliced peppadews then provolone and back into the oven to melt the cheese

at other times it will be:

open faced tomato sandwich on white bread

beef on weck - either buffalo style(hot with jus) or fredonia style(cold with swiss cheese, tomato, lettuce and thousand island dressing)

grilled cheese

pb&j - especially for breakfast

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i go for the simple avocado sandwich: fresh homemade wheat bread is best, but french bread will also do. avocado mashed a bit with salt and lemon, a slice of good cheese (most any kind will do), tomato if it is ripe, lettuce arugula or other green, cilantro basil or other herbs, and a touch of mayo.

if i am feeling up to a project, i can't resist a good monte cristo made to my own specifications: tender eggy french toast, only a small amount of ham and turkey, munster or cheddar (not swiss for me), and a mustard and sweet relish dipping sauce. ooh, it's getting to be about lunch time!

WoW

what a fine thread!

Id completely forgot about the Monte Cristo!

as delisious as anything can be.

for me though the nutty ness of the swiss ( gruyere ) made all the difference. it need not be much!

I hope your MC had a white sauce on it? cheezze or not!

:rolleyes: