• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with Drambuie?

Deus Mortus

I enjoy myself a good rusty nail and so I usually have some Drambuie laying around, I occasionally use it while cooking in braises and stews, but I was wondering what drinks are good with it?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

There's more to do with it than Rusty Nails or straight over ice. Here's my favorite, Dave Wondrich's (Splificator in these forums)

Gansevoort Fizz

2 oz medium bodied aged rum (Appleton V/X is suggested)

1 oz Drambuie

1 oz lemon juice

2 dashes Peychaud's

shake, strain into a chilled glass, top with 2 to 3 oz soda

nunc est bibendum...

Neat, with a single ice cube. Anything else is an abuse of the Scotch Whiskey therein.

Well not to be a snob, but the whiskey in the stuff really isn't that great, I mean it isn't bad, if I wasn't so spoiled in the spirit's department by an inheritance of my late uncle, I might even say good, but not that great that you can't temper with it.

In addition to Rusty Nails, I've enjoyed it in the Tabard. It seems to go remarkably well with tequila.

That sounds pretty damn good, but I have a rule; no tequila, not only am I not a big fan of the taste, but once tequila hits the table, things generally end badly and while this may not be true in a cocktail. I do not have it in my house on that principle.

There's more to do with it than Rusty Nails or straight over ice. Here's my favorite, Dave Wondrich's (Splificator in these forums)

Gansevoort Fizz

1 oz Drambuie

1 oz lemon juice

2 dashes Peychaud's

That sounds really great, could I trade the Peychaud for Angostura, or is that crazy talk?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

Neat, with a single ice cube. Anything else is an abuse of the Scotch Whiskey therein.

Well not to be a snob, but the whiskey in the stuff really isn't that great, I mean it isn't bad, if I wasn't so spoiled in the spirit's department by an inheritance of my late uncle, I might even say good, but not that great that you can't temper with it.

In addition to Rusty Nails, I've enjoyed it in the Tabard. It seems to go remarkably well with tequila.

That sounds pretty damn good, but I have a rule; no tequila, not only am I not a big fan of the taste, but once tequila hits the table, things generally end badly and while this may not be true in a cocktail. I do not have it in my house on that principle.

Gansevoort Fizz

1 oz Drambuie

1 oz lemon juice

2 dashes Peychaud's

That sounds really great, could I trade the Peychaud for Angostura, or is that crazy talk?

I don't think I would-the two have very different characteristics. And besides, if you're into making even the occasional drink having Peychaud's around is a good thing. It's very unique and useful for things like Sazeracs, one of the wonders of the ancient cocktail world.

nunc est bibendum...

I don't think I would-the two have very different characteristics. And besides, if you're into making even the occasional drink having Peychaud's around is a good thing. It's very unique and useful for things like Sazeracs, one of the wonders of the ancient cocktail world.

I don't disagree, but it's just 5 past midnight here and I thought I might give it a try, only to find myself without Peychaud's.

Edited by Deus Mortus (log)

-Winston Churchill

I don't disagree, but it's just 5 past midnight here and I thought I might give it a try, only to find myself without Peychaud's.

Isn't there a Peychaud's crisis-line you can call? :smile:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Isn't there a Peychaud's crisis-line you can call? :smile:

Sadly no, need be I can get some crisis beer delivery, but sadly people keep talking about making sleep priority instead of serving my whims, quite egotistical if you ask me :wink:

-Winston Churchill

What to do with Drambuie? Pour it down the drain and dispose of the bottle in an ecological manner. (heh!). No in all seriousness ever tried a mix of lemon juice, veterano, and drambuie? One of the best. Equal parts, stirred, served in a chilled glass.

• Like 1

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

Shameless self-promotion...

These original Drambuie cocktails created by Adam Elmegirab were the winning drinks in the regional heat as well as the national final for the Drambuie Cocktail Competition 2010.

B.F.G

40ml Drambuie

25ml Noilly Rouge

10ml Laphroaig 10 Year Old

4dashes Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Boker's Bitters

Method: Add all ingredients to mixing glass fill with cubed ice and strir for 15-20 seconds

Glass: Vintage cocktail

Garnish: Lemon zest

Ice: N/A

Image: http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/9407/drambuiebfg.jpg

Fosbury Flip

1 Barspoon Caraway seeds

50ml Drambuie

25ml Bacardi 8 year old

1 whole egg, preferably free range.

2 Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters

5ml Sugar syrup

Grind Hawaiian red lava salt

Grind black pepper

Method: Muddle caraway seeds in base of mixing glass, add liquor and steep for 2 minutes. Add all other ingredients and dry shake for 5 seconds. Fill with ice and shake for a further 10 seconds. Fine strain.

Glass: Goblet

Garnish: Fresh grated nutmeg

Ice: None

Image: http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/507/fosburyflip.jpg

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

One that I like that has also been a hit when I've made it for friends is the Causeway:

2 oz Irish whiskey

1 oz Drambuie

1/4 oz lemon juice

4 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes orange bitters

Top up with Ginger ale

Drambuie really should be employed much more than it is. I don't think it's nearly as problematic as working with Scotch in cocktails.

Edited by brinza (log)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I like to mix about 2 parts rye whiskey and 1 part drambuie, usually over ice in lowball.

If you want a real rusty nail, you'll need to use scotch! Still I can't seem to get my hands on any quality rye whiskey, the few times I do find it, it might as well have been labeled "Hobo Juice".

-Winston Churchill

I like to mix about 2 parts rye whiskey and 1 part drambuie, usually over ice in lowball.

If you want a real rusty nail, you'll need to use scotch! Still I can't seem to get my hands on any quality rye whiskey, the few times I do find it, it might as well have been labeled "Hobo Juice".

I would never claim rye + drambuie is a rusty nail. But I like to experiment, and I had rye in the cabinet, so I tried it and I liked it. In fact, I like it better than a rusty nail. The spice of the rye is a nice contrast to the drambuie. You can even make it more like an old fashioned - rye plus a splash of drambuie plus some bitters.

I would never claim rye + drambuie is a rusty nail. But I like to experiment, and I had rye in the cabinet, so I tried it and I liked it. In fact, I like it better than a rusty nail. The spice of the rye is a nice contrast to the drambuie. You can even make it more like an old fashioned - rye plus a splash of drambuie plus some bitters.

Again I have no way to get my hands on rye, so using simple logic, I can tell you it is horrible, I have no way of making, ie. no way of enjoying it and seeing how I am obviously the center of my own personal little universe, there being something I can't enjoy, means it is horrible as I am the standard for all things good and just.

The only way that could be good if I wasn't the center of the universe and that's just crazy talk! <_<

Edited by Deus Mortus (log)

-Winston Churchill

I like the Curse of Scotland...

3/4 oz Islay single malt

3/4 oz Drambuie

3/4 oz Maraschino

3/4 oz lemon juice

shake with ice, strain.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I like the Curse of Scotland...

3/4 oz Islay single malt

3/4 oz Drambuie

3/4 oz Maraschino

3/4 oz lemon juice

shake with ice, strain.

Tri2, I made this last night. Absolutely wonderful. Thanks for posting it. I went scant (probably closer to 1/2 oz) on the Maraschino, and it was perfect. I've never encountered this recipe. Where did you find it?

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I found it on the Cocktail Virgin Slut blog. It's attributed to the Cocktail Collective book. I think I'll try the next one with your slight modification.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.