• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metal chocolate molds

My wife was sweet enough to seek out and purchase several antique European chocolate bunny molds for Easter. I finally took the time to look at them to see how to use them. Does anyone have the technique for making these cast items? I played with a couple of them, but didn't know what to do for hollow vs solid, etc. I made a few solids and they were ok. Poured in the chocolate and used a vibrating table, etc. Tried to make a hollow version, but they seem to crack or not be thick enough for a base. Do you pour in chocolate and let it sit for a period of time and then empty? Any help would be great. They really are beautiful and would love to make them for next year.

bunny.jpg

David Smith

I pour in chocolate to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up the mold, then slowly dump it back out while turning to coat the inside of the mold. I pour a little pool of chocolate on my surface and put the mold down on top of it.

After the mold has been in the fridge for about 10 minutes I remove the clips across the areas where it tends to break.