• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Identify these oysters

jsmeeker

What types of oysters are these? I only know they are Atlantic oysters. Connecticut to be exact. Bought them at Whole Foods today. First time I even bought oysters for home.

oysters-20110605-164320.jpg

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

REAL Blue Points are from a specific part of (Great South Bay) Long Island only. "Blue Point" has become a term as misused as Kleenex or Band-Aid. If you're lucky these might be Fisher's Island oysters from Connecticut, which are prized for their salinity and clean flavor. Or maybe Mystics? Those are the most common oysters from CT that I'm aware of.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

jsmeeker..

Those look pretty nice to open for a first timer.. I just started doing my own opening this yr too..

I have had some difficulty opening with some types.. cant remember which ones thou

My monger always throws in 2-3 extra.

Paul

Its good to have Morels

These were pretty good. Had a lot of "meaty" flavor and were nice and briny. I did OK opening. Only mangled one of the six I think the length of them make it tricker than I was expecting. Had to make sure I got the knife all the way down to the end opposite the hinge before really trying to totally separate the halves.

I also seemed to have issues where shell clung directly to the meat, away from the muscles that hold it to the shell.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"