• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bamboo coffee filters

Darienne

DH was buying coffee filters the other day and noticed that there is now a Melitta brand made of bamboo paper which purports to allow more the the "real coffee flavor" to come through. I am not knowledgeable about coffee in the least except I know what I life which is dark and strong. Very strong.

However, my esophagus and stomach doesn't like dark and strong which is why I now use paper filters...to filter out the best part of the coffee, the oils. Push-me/pull-you but it's the best I can do.

So what is it that these new bamboo filters do? Allow more coffee oils through? What other way could they allow more taste to come through?

Anyone try them? Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

However, my esophagus and stomach doesn't like dark and strong which is why I now use paper filters...

Nothing to offer regarding bamboo, but have you looked into the AeroPress?

http://www.google.com/search?q=aeropress+site%3Aegullet.org

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/212810?Page=1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

In my opinion, the thing about drip coffee makers is that coffee floats. When the stream of hot water hits the grounds-especially in a flat bottomed basket, the water spreads out on the filter and the grounds float above the water. Maybe a 5th of the water goes into the carafe before most of the grounds even get wet. A vacuum coffee maker do a better job no matter how good the filter is in a drip coffee maker. It has a filter but the grounds all come in contact with water before they fall into the carafe. The best thing to do with one of those is to get the grounds wet just before the water goes in and to use a cone shaped basket.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

A vacuum coffee maker do a better job no matter how good the filter is in a drip coffee maker. It has a filter but the grounds all come in contact with water before they fall into the carafe.

Yes... that is why the AP comes with a stirring paddle to ensure complete contact.

FWIW, I have a Yama vacuum brewer -- it just doesn't get much use when one rolls out of bed early in the morn'. The AP is definitely more user-friendly (and quick).

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I've purchased the bamboo Melita filters. Still have an opened box. I have been wetting my filters before use to remove some paper taste but the bamboo ones seem to have a stronger paper taste. I really prefer pressed coffee but my wife only like drip

There's a local roaster here in Portland that has developed reusable filters for the Aeropress and a cone type drip coffee maker - they are different than the gold type screens. They use some sort of micro acid etch process I think. They come in a couple of grades of fineness and may be a good option for something between a French Press and a paper filter.

There's a ton of coffee geekness on their website

http://coava.myshopify.com/collections/store

Darienne - I find a lot of difference in the way different coffees affect me - French Roast from one roaster can have a totally different level of acidity than from another roaster

In my opinion, the thing about drip coffee makers is that coffee floats. When the stream of hot water hits the grounds-especially in a flat bottomed basket, the water spreads out on the filter and the grounds float above the water. Maybe a 5th of the water goes into the carafe before most of the grounds even get wet.

I like doing it by hand. If you wet the grounds with a little water, wait a few seconds for them to soak it up and start to release the flavour, then pour the rest of the water in, this isn't a problem, and you get complete contact. But most electric makers I've seen start off with a pretty slow drip. Guess I've never peered into the basket at the crucial time, but I'm surprised this is a problem.

Can't say I've ever noticed a paper taste (except in Uni where they used paper towels from the men's room to line the percolator basket) but I haven't tried bamboo.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.