• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Persian Gulf Spice Mixes

Hi all. First post, very exciting :)

I'm planning on cooking a couple of Bahraini dishes this weekend and I am a bit confused on one aspect.

There are at least two spice mixes used in Bahraini cooking that I am aware of: baharat, which is found all around the Mid-east and North Africa and has its roots in Turkey, and is a main ingredient in kabsa; and bezar, which is found around the Gulf and is featured in many Emirati fish dishes.

I am planning to pan-fry a whole fish (grouper or mackerel) after rubbing it with one of the above mixes. My questions are these:

Which one is more appropriate? When are these mixes used? Are they used interchangeably? And what is your recipe??

Thanks for any help!

Mark Rinaldi

Food Blogger

http://cookedearth.wordpress.com

I ended up using a version of bezar that is cited all over the internet -

3 parts cumin seeds (whole)

3 parts fennel seeds (whole)

3 parts cinnamon sticks

3 parts coriander seeds (whole)

2 part black peppercorns (whole)

1 part dried red chillies (whole)

2 parts turmeric powder

I roasted the whole spices and ground them. Mixed it all together, threw in a heavy handful of salt and rubbed down a whole grouper and a whole spanish mackerel. Fried them in a copper pan with olive oil.

I'd say that this bezar needs tweaking... it felt incomplete, but it may have just been an issue with the amount of salt. More is better :)

More responses would make me very happy!

Mark Rinaldi

Food Blogger

http://cookedearth.wordpress.com