• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Carp

I'm watching a program called Hooked on The National Geographic Channel (a current show with a 2011 date). This particular episode is about the invasion of Asian Carp in the Mississippi basin, their impact on (or the complete destruction of) the traditional fishing industry in the area and their threat to the Great Lakes. In searching, I found that these fish have been mentioned many times on eGullet but apparently haven't yet warranted their own topic.

This is a very fascinating story. A guy with an algae problem in his catfish pond finds success by importing Asian Carp. Within a couple of months, his algae problem is just a memory. But then come the floods and the Asian Carp, with no natural predators here, get into the main waterways and begin taking over.

I had been aware of this as a news story. Later I learned an important mitigating factor. Asian Carp are apparently very tasty. Upon review, they're most often compared to cod, but Wikipedia notes that many say that they taste like something between scallop and crab.

Sweet! And they're targeted for complete elimination. A veritable genocide of tasty fish is in the offing - all in the name of the environment and sustainability.

The only fly in the ointment seems to be that they are rather boney fish. And, well, okay, Americans don't find carp to be an appealing dining option. Most of the current catch is shipped back to China (apparently, 80% of farmed fish there is of this variety).

But these are not your bottom feeding variety of carp. They only eat algae, so they don't accumulate mercury. What bad stuff they pick up in the rivers, they store in their fat which is easily cut away. But in dining on algae, they do cut the bottom out of the food chain.

Bizarrely, the Silver Carp have a tendency to get spooked right out of the water (leaping as high as 10 feet), making them a hazzard for boaters and an aerial target for bow fisherman.

It's all a very complicated environmental balance issue. But listening to the biologists, it appears that the best environmental option is to kill them all.

Might as well eat 'em. :raz: But somehow, I suspect that this wouldn't be the first time in history that we've made this choice. This seems a very tricky situation.

Non natives are always a serious concern. As you noted they often have no predators. I hope a group comes forward to try to utilize them if they are going to be killed off in some fashion. Perhaps a giant fishing derby :smile: We have experienced the water snakes from the South East in our local water and it is not endangering anything but if they get into the California delta - oh my!

Interesting topic. Anther interesting (in food terms) invasive species that's threatening the native species is the feral pig. I know that's not the official story, but I keep hearing about people rounding them up by the hundred and shipping them to Spain to be used in Iberico ham.

I have my doubts about the flavor of the carp (is it me or do all freshwater fish taste at least slightly of mud?) but hey, some people love catfish, which tastes like an aquarium filter smells. :raz:

What are the economics of catching and selling carp, and how much do you want to bet that if it becomes a commercial success they'll just start farming them instead of catching the wild ones that are damaging the ecosystem?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I recall reading an article about changing the name of Asian carp to increase the appeal. It makes sense to me, considering what happened to the poor Patagonian toothfish after it was rechristened "Chilean sea bass". I believe the suggestion was "Kentucky Tuna". Maybe some crafty eGulleteer can come up with a better name.

I do hope we can lick this carp problem. I have a firm belief in the ability of human beings to drive a species extinct, so I think we can do this. Heck, if we can do it accidentally to just about anything, imagine what we can do if we really dedicate ourselves to it!

I had no idea they're supposed to taste good! Everyone I know says they're terrible and bony. Probably that nasty habit of assuming pests taste bad. I should know better by now.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Having eaten wild-caught introduced carp (in Eastern Washington) -- they tasted like carp, er crap. Muddy and bony. Perhaps if they're held in fresh clear water for a few days to flush them the taste would clean up.

But couldn't they be used for surimi?

I think live carps have been available in Chinese stores for ages.

Go to any Chinese store where they have fish tanks.

Fried, steamed stuffed carps are great.

Also great for fish balls.

dcarch