• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hum Botanical Spirit

jsmeeker

Has anyone used this?

http://www.humspirits.com/about-hum/what-is-hum/

hum is a 70 proof spirit. hum & Soda is the new, delicious 'Vodka Soda,' the reinvented 'Gin & Tonic' and the natural 'Rum & Coke'. hum has been called "seductive" and "lap-up luscious" by the most important spirits critic in the US and a "mixologist's staple" by the Beverage Testing Institute.

hum has a striking crimson red color from fair trade hibiscus, a peppery kick from organic ginger, heady aromatics from cardamom and the intoxicating fragrance of kaffir lime. This unparalleled spirit ironically tastes like the boldest "red wine" you could ever imagine.

hum is technically a "liqueur," however, it cannot be compared to traditional liqueurs with which most consumers are familiar. At a bold 70 proof, hum was created as a base spirit

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

A friend of mine gave me a bottle - it's pretty good actually (stupid marketing content aside) but the spice is intense, a little goes a long way. This precludes me from using it in cocktails very often, it has the tendency to overshadow everything else in the drink. Probably best either on it's own with club soda or in small amounts (.25oz or less) in cocktails. Might be a good spice component in a rum or Batavia arrack-based punch as well.

I tried Hum in several things when it first entered the scene in Chicago a little over a year ago. I normally love ginger and hibiscus, but found Hum to be cloyingly sweet and overpowering in anything but dash-like quantities...the cardamom is quite pronounced. I can't imagine using it in conjunction with any sort of sweetener, so marketing it as a base-spirit strikes me as somewhat disingenuous. It's quite fine with soda, but I couldn't find much use for it in cocktails.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour