• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your cookbook looks fantastic and would love to hear about your experience creating it.

What (or who) convinced you to write it? Were you approached by publishing companies or did you send proposals around? Did you enjoy the experience? Is there any part of the publishing process that you would do differently if you had a choice?

Anne E. McBride

Thanks for your inquiry about the cookbook. Beginning the process can be quite daunting. Publishing a book is a whole other world. The whole process took about four years. One year to develop the idea into an outline and table of contents. One year to refine it, find an agent and sell it to a publisher, one year to write it and test the recipes and one year for editing. It's hard to imagine that it as been this long but it has been enjoyable. Having a good agent is key. My agent helped me refine the idea so it would be clear. Although this was by far the most difficult part of the journey Iwas greatful to have worked out the outline in order to actually write the book. I always wanted to write a cookbook but wanted to be able to include a topic that could teach something along with including a collection of my recipes. When I came across the idea to explore the botanical roots of the foods we eat, I knew this was a great idea. I learned a lot in the process, too. Having a good publisher was important, especially one that can share the vision of the book. I am very pleased with the results.