• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange Manhattan Cocktail

KathyP

I'd use an orange liqueur -- maybe something brandy-based like Gran Gala or Grand Marnier, if you have it -- instead of the peach liqueur in the following. A spicy, rye-forward bourbon would be nice, if you have it, I think. Or rye, of course.

Bourbon Belle

by Joy Richard, LUPEC, Boston, MA

3 oz Bourbon

1/2 oz Peach liqueur, Mathilde Pêche

1/2 oz Sweet vermouth

2 ds Angostura bitters

1 Maraschino cherry (brandied, as garnish)

Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish

Personal notes: Cocktail Virgin Slut recommends Carpano Antica. This drink is huge; I'd scale it down by 25% or serve as two small drinks.

--

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I really like this recipe:

Paris Manhattan:

2 oz. rye or bourbon

1 oz. St. Germain

.5 oz. dry vermouth

2 dashes Angostura

Cherry or orange twist

You could potentially sub an orange liqueur in there for the St. Germain.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a call for:

3/4 oz Bourbon/Rye

3/4 oz Gran Marnier

3/4 oz sweet vermouth

Thank you for this recipe!

I had no Grand Marnier, so I substituted Cointreau, and added two dashes of Regan's Orange Bitters! I used Sazerac Rye and loved the resulting cocktail!

Delicious!

Cordially,

Serge D.

Serge -- you might try more rye -- maybe 1.5 oz -- for a ratio that is a bit more Manhattan-ish. I would also try a spicy bitters, like Angostura as the pie spice would go well with the orange. Not that I don't like Regans'. Or both!

It's raining and a bit cool in Boston today. Maybe this will be tonight's cocktail.

Serge -- you might try more rye -- maybe 1.5 oz -- for a ratio that is a bit more Manhattan-ish. I would also try a spicy bitters, like Angostura as the pie spice would go well with the orange. Not that I don't like Regans'. Or both!

It's raining and a bit cool in Boston today. Maybe this will be tonight's cocktail.

Actually 2 oz of rye makes it even better - I just compared the index card that I jotted the measurements onto, and I [mistakenly, perhaps out of habit] wrote "2 Oz. Rye or bourbon"! And that's the ratio I've been using!

Yes, decidedly Manhattan-ish, and quite good. I will keep it at 2 oz. of Sazerac, and tonight try the Angoustora instead of the Orange.

Thanks!

Cordially,

Serge D.