• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northeast jealousy of west coast

The Cook's phad thai recipe is actually really good.

SeAAtle, at least we're still ahead of Canada.  :cool:

Hey!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Since this thread just surfaced again, I dug out the latest copy of CI to read the editorial. It's on water dowsing. And, to me interesting. But then you have to remember Kimball writes his editorials from VT and I was born in VT and raised across the river in NH. It's familiar territory to me.

Water dowsing is also familiar territory to me. I first learned of it as a child from Creighton Churchill (A Notebook for the Wines of France), an old family friend, who was having water dowsed for a new well on his farm - by an old man from VT.

Perhaps it is a New England thing to find his editorials interesting. But then again, if a cooking mag were being published from Alaska, I'd find an editorial written in a local vein from there interesting as well. In a mag that's otherwise filled with good cooking tips, I like the idea of an OT editorial.

SeAAtle, at least we're still ahead of Canada.  :cool:

Errr..how exactly?

The restaurant listing used to be PNW and Alaska, followed by Canada. Now that I think about it, was this not listed under the general area of United States? When did Canada become our 51st? :biggrin:

Now, Canada has its own section, as it should, and PNW, Alaska and Hawaii (!) is just above Carribean, West Indies and USVI. The view from the East Coast seems to be somewhat blurred.

Gotcha! An heirarchical thing. Not a nationalistic thing. I won't have to hunt you down and club you with a frozen beaver! And pour maple syrup down your throat.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hmm. My Daddy told me that in Canada you need a permit in order to carry a frozen beaver. :biggrin: That flippery tail can be a lethal wepon.

I can get frozen beaver at TJ's? Next to the Musvovy ducks?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I believe you miss the point here. The Cowderheads have yet to recover from the curse of the Bambino. What he really said was "the food will never be any good once I leave" after the Red Sox traded him to NY. Kimble is the Bill Buckner of the food world. His magazine routinly boots grounders to first.

The only real food reference I connect with Boston is from Good Will Hunting when Matt Damon keeps saying "How do you Like Them Apples?"

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

That's what's so great about America - we've got the NBA (National Beaver Association) to tell Congress to keep their stinkin' hands off our beavers. No permits, no waiting periods, no mandatory safely locks. Damn it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Just looked at the current Sautewednesday and noticed Cole had this to say about Kimball's editorials -

"Personally, we are fond of Christopher Kimball's editorial in Cook's Illustrated. His candid glimpses from his personal life are honest and sincere, bordering on the nostalgic - at least to us. Maybe it's the "grass is greener" syndrome? He lives in rural America and we live in the big (little) city. Whatever it is, we appreciate his gesture to communicate to his readers, and only wish that other editors were as inspired."