• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A celebration of the spoon rest

Fat Guy

11 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I do soak beans in a 4 quart pyrex that sits by the back burner while they simmer for the foam skimmer and/or to collect misc tongs/spoons. Then goes in the sink to soak all the cooking utensil crap. But making something so simple like a creole remoulade that uses 4-5 teaspoons, Or various dressings. I need them to sit flat and not touching. Mayo/yogurt, mustard, chipotle, chili crisp, horseradish, and a dry one for spices. A few tasting spoons. I don't use recipes so I always need to adjust adding a bit more of this or that. 

This worked for a while as a test. Useless as pot holders--too stiff. The baby sheet pans are handy and came in a set of two. Small enough I often use them side-by-side. One for compost scraps. Sauté spoons, tong rest. 

IMG_5748.jpeg

I like all of your solutions and, for once, I actually HAVE all of the various things you recommend 😁!  And, with a glass cooktop, the cushioning pads are probably safer for me than a plate.  And you are SO right about how much those waffly pads hold water!  It's like Niagara Falls getting them out of the dishwasher.  LOL

• Like 2

I use these plastic meal delivery bowls. They are made from some heavy duty, heat tolerant type of plastic and are easily washable.

spoonrest.thumb.jpg.070dd22cb10886ea6542ae279489398e.jpg

For tasting, I too use plastic spoons. Every delivery comes with a set of disposable chopsticks (I prefer my own) and a small plastic spoon. I seldom use the chopsticks, but have dozens of the spoons from the time around the turn of the year when I was sick and unable to cook.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 month later...

At last, I can participate -- at least a little bit. Here are two of my beloved spoon rests:

20230510_203406.jpg

I have two more. Somewhere. We've been gone for 6 months, and the housesitter did some, shall we say, creative storage. 😆

• Haha 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

At last, I can participate -- at least a little bit. Here are two of my beloved spoon rests:

20230510_203406.jpg

...the housesitter did some, shall we say, creative storage. 😆

DH!!!    You housesat for Smithy?

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.