• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A celebration of the spoon rest

Fat Guy

Here is a photo of my two no-name silicone spoon rests. I use them constantly. They are my friends. They are the most handy when I am making something sticky, like lollipops. The blue one has a bit missing on one side when it accidentally was pushed onto a hot burner. Who knew my spoon rests would ever go up into cyberspace?

attachicon.gifP5090002.JPG

The top onw is mine

p

I have an irrational love for my Boston Warehouse spoonrest. 

attachicon.gifIMGP5454.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP5455.JPG

I have the same spoon rest in my kitchen at home!

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I use a Pyrex measuring cup - holds the main spoon, and if there is a secondary spoon for say a pasta or some rice, it goes in there upside down so that the scoop doesn't pick up any sauce.

Tongs can go in there too the usual way since they don't tend to catch anything to any great extent... works as a triple spoon rest that is stable and doesn't take up much counter space (very valuable in my small apartment kitchen).

• Like 1

Hahahaha! Smithy, you have such good taste! Do you love it? Did you buy it for yourself? I found mine in a HomeGoods store, I believe. About 5 years ago. 

I don't remember where I found mine, but I treasure it!  I think I bought it as a gift for someone, and then couldn't bear to part with it.  I may have had that subterfuge in mind all along.  ;-)

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_0905.jpg

These little Corelle plates have a permanent place beside my stove, ready for service as spoon rests or other incidental uses.  When one goes into the dishwasher, there's always another on deck.

(Why certain members of the household persist in leaving goopy utensils on the counter inches from the plates is just one of those eternal mysteries....)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I used to have several spoon rests but gradually they moved out of reach.

For the past year or so, maybe longer, I have been using a shallow jar lid - has been through the dishwasher numerous times.  Fit the spot that works best for me, doesn't tip and holds even the largest spoon or ladle.  Also unbreakable (a fate that was the end of many former candidates.)

And, since I recently came across the rather fancy jar, on which it arrived, I can always give it a good clean and use it for what it was originally intended. 

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I use a small, oblong plate that I got at Cost Plus Imports. Long enough and wide enough to hold a spatula when needed.

I still have the same white oblong plate from Cost Plus World Market. At 6"x9" it can hold a large grill spatula or several utensils at the same time. The shallow lip keeps puddles corralled. I've bought several for gifts over the years. I believe they still sell them if any one is interested.

Edited by Susie Q (log)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I typically just fold up the paper towel I used to dry my hands after washing them as my spoon rest, that is if I need one. I used one when I lived with my parents and it had to be hand washed so I really didn't like it. Mostly I use bamboo utensils so I usually just leave them across the top of the pot or on the food leaning on the edge of the pan. 

Now I have serious cooktop envy.

• 7 years later...

I was gonna start a topic about spoon rests, but found this one.

I have a number of rests, not a one of which really satisfies.  Because who uses one spoon when cooking?  Or what if you've used, say, tongs? Or maybe a fork? Or whatever?

So - has anyone found the perfect spoon rest yet?

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Whatever is at hand.

A empty can of tomatoes, deli cup etc.

Or more likely right on the counter which I'm going to wipe down anyway.

Spoon rests seem great in theory, but most of the time its one more frigging thing I don't need on the counter

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Whatever is at hand.

Spoon rests seem great in theory, but most of the time its one more frigging thing I don't need on the counter

Yep, that's me. 

For many years, I had gas stoves with a big swath of empty space down the middle, between the burners.  It was pretty much wasted space so I always put a spoon rest there.  My current cooktop has 5 burners and no free real estate.  At first, I put the spoon rest next to the stove but I was just moving it all the time to clean under and around it so it's long gone! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I was gonna start a topic about spoon rests, but found this one.

I have a number of rests, not a one of which really satisfies.  Because who uses one spoon when cooking?  Or what if you've used, say, tongs? Or maybe a fork? Or whatever?

So - has anyone found the perfect spoon rest yet?

As often as not I'll throw down one of these on the counter and put my spoon(s) on that.  Costco has a similar brand/type.

I do have a vintage Personalized spoon rest that I love and will get a photo and add it.

61ZnF3-jl2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Exactly. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Whatever is at hand.

^ Yep, whatever is at hand, usually measuring cups, prep bowls, and empty cans.