• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How much hondashi (power) = katsuobushi?

1. Ichi ban dashi:

if a recipe for ichi ban dashi use 60g of katsuobushi, how much hondashi I need that would be equivalent to this amount?

2. Ni ban dashi:

if a ni ban dashi recipe also need 60g of katsuobushi, how much is the equivalent hondashi?

:unsure:

I don't think it says on the box, that's why I would like to know :unsure:

The company is www.marumoto.co.jp but it has nothing about dashi recipe

There's however some recipe, but I am a bit confused about them as I don't quite understand what they mean:

使用例 (Usage example?) | 1人分使用量 (portion / amount for 1 person?)

みそ汁のだし (1人分 150cc) (miso sauces type dashi?) | 1g

吸物のだし (1人分 150cc) | 1g

めん類のつけ汁 (1人分 50cc) (noodle type ... ?) | 1g

めん類のかけ汁 (1人分 200cc) (noodle type ...?) | 2g

おでんのだし (1人分 200cc) (oden? type dashi?) | 1g

使用例 (Usage example) | 1人分使用量 (portion / amount for 1 person)

みそ汁のだし (1人分 150cc) (miso soup type dashi) | 1g

吸物のだし (1人分 150cc) (clear soups) | 1g

めん類のつけ汁 (1人分 50cc) (for dipping sauce for noodles) | 1g

めん類のかけ汁 (1人分 200cc) (for pouring sauce for noodles) | 2g

おでんのだし (1人分 200cc) (oden type dashi) | 1g

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

:laugh: I think I am right though :unsure::laugh:

ok.....

well, lets see...

Clear soups are made from ichi ban dashi, right?

Miso soups are made from ni ban dashi, right?

Conclusion: Dashi for miso soups are "heavier" than clear soup dashi, agree? :unsure:

however....

I can NOT be more right than a Japanese company making their own powder stock!!!! :blink:

Edited by skyhskyh (log)

What are the ingredients in this instant dashi? Most that I've seen are mostly salt and msg.

I believe dashi made from niboshi is just as popular for miso soup as dashi made from katsuobushi.

Monterey Bay area

The type of dashi used for miso soup differs from region to region.

Assuming that clear oups use ichiban-dashi and noodle soups mostly use niban-dashi, my conclusion is....that the same amount of hondashi is used, regardless of whether you are thinking of an ichiban or a niban-dashi.

It might be more useful to consider all hondashi as niban-dashi, since even the best instant dashi isn't likely to have the "top notes" of fragrance that an ichiban-dashi does. If you really want something close to an ichiban-dashi, you might try one of the liquid concentrates instead of hondashi powder.

That said, there are a few "tennen" (natural) "mutenka" (no-additives) instant dashi powders around, and while they raise my eyebrows, they do a good enough job for early-morning lunch-making sessions.

Meanwhile, from the Ajinomoto site, "Hondashi katsuo and konbu awase-dashi" contains MSG, salt, sugars, katsuo powder, kelp extract, and yeast extract.

調味料(アミノ酸等)、食塩、砂糖類(砂糖、乳糖)、風味原料(かつおぶし粉末、こんぶエキス)、 酵母エキス

Their liquid katsuo-base dashi concentrate "Katsu-maro" contains:

Salt, fermented seasoning, katsuo, sugar, katsuo extract, kelp stock, MSG, sorbit, souring agent, and xanthan gum.

食塩・発酵調味料・かつお節・砂糖・かつおエキス・昆布だし・調味料(アミノ酸等)・ソルビット・酸味料・糊料(キサンタン)