• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ribs, how to keep them moist on the BBQ

wawa

Rules change.

I think I took the course in 2004.

Fall off the bone ribs would not have won anything but they would not have been disqualified.

BTW Mrs CHM likes 'em fall off the bone. I usually overcook a rack for her.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Rules change.

I think I took the course in 2004.

Fall off the bone ribs would not have won anything but they would not have been disqualified.

BTW Mrs CHM likes 'em fall off the bone. I usually overcook a rack for her.

There's a barbecue joint in Austin that advertises: "Need no teef to eat my beef" (and an appropriate accompanying logo). So I guess there's something for everyone.

:smile:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

This is the only Rib-specific information I could find from the 2011 KCBS Rules-

"PORK RIBS: Ribs shall include the bone. Country style ribs are

prohibited."

"Ribs shall be turned in bone‐in. Judges may not cut,

slice, or shake apart to separate pieces. If there is not

enough meat for each judge to sample, the shorted

judge(s) will score a one (1) on all criteria, and the judges

having samples will change the Appearance score to one(1)."

Sounds like if the meat falls off the bone that they would be disqualified because they don't "include the bone", but shaking them to see if the meat falls off wouldn't make sense at all because then you get into how hard do you shake it...does it ALL fall off....etc., etc. Either you pick up a rib and the meat stays on, or it doesn't....thus the importance of completely separate pieces for each judge. After that, if all the meat falls off onto your shirt as you try to take the first bite....it does not bode well for the competitor, but the ribs were presented bone-in.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention how I hate cooking for judges...total crapshoot, but it seems that we always did better when we presented them with food we'd never eat ourselves or serve to our guests. Specifically, the addition of some super sweet sauce...

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Right. In fact, the KCBS instructs the judges at its cookoffs to hold up the ribs and give them a little shake to be sure that they are not "falling off the bone." If they are, they are disqualified from the competition, going on the theory that anybody can overcook meat.............

Well, I suppose there is always going to be individual interpretation, but it's only been one year since I took the KCBS judges certification, and we were told that pretty specifically.

In fact, I'm sure when you took the class, they brought in sample boxes to judge. One of the ones they brought to us did have the ribs falling off of the bone. They looked fine in the box, but when you picked them up, you couldn't keep the bone attached to the meat. That box was specifically prepared that way in order to demonstrate to us that that particular box of ribs would be disqualified, and not judged.

I don't know if things have changed since you took the certification class, or if individual instructors interpret the rules differently.

But when I took that class, they were very definite about it. And, as I say, even prepared one of the sample boxes to be sure we understood.

I'd really like to know who from KCBS taught that class (feel free to PM) as this is totally incorrect. According to the class instructor's guides from 2009, 2010 & 2011 judge candidates are supposed to be specifically instructed NOT to shake samples or try to dislodge meat. Presented on the bone means that it's on the bone when presented in the turn in box.

Enough KCBS competition hijacking of this thread.

Is there really a whole lot of teams turning in ribs falling off the bone? Maybe I'd be surprised but you almost have to try to over cook them that much! From a teams perspective we've honestly never given it any thought.

For comps we cook loin back ribs but they are huge, about 2.5 pounds a rack. I cook them really low, around 200 for about 3 hours (just looking for the proper color), foil for a couple with some liquid (checking every 15 minutes after an hour to make sure they are not over cooking) and then back on the cooker for about half an hour with a glaze just for the glaze to set. We usually do well with that.

These are comp ribs from last year that we managed to take first place with.

ribs.jpg

At home it totally depends on the size of ribs I'm cooking as for time and temps. For nice lean back ribs I cook them fairly hot around 350 sometimes even on the rotiss and just check frequently to see how a probe goes in to check for done (carefuly with sugar in your rubs if you're going hot though). I usually don't foil at home. For spares I never go above 300 degrees and sometimes lower, just depends how much of a hurry I'm in. I usually foil them, even at home just because I don't like the bark looking too dark. Just my preference. I never mop or spray at home or comps.

I think the main thing is don't plan too much on time, just check frequently for tenderness and the color you want, whether that is a light color or strong bark. It's whatever you like. Just don't do it by time. Different racks always cook up differently.

Clark

Clark

as others have alluded , cook/smoke em till they have some color,and are cooked then ,the key is to wrap tightly in foil and finish till tender at 200 deg or so,then, wrap in a towel(still in foil)and let sit in a warm place for 45 minutes or so...then serve..

Bud

I think the best way to keep ribs moist is to keep them covered for most of the cooking time. My standard methodolgy is the following:

1. Apply rub to ribs night before or at least 3-4 hours before cooking.

2. Wrap in foil with a tiny amount of liquid (I like beer)

3. Cook in oven at 250 for 2-3 hours depending on size of ribs.

4. Apply bbq sauce and finish on grill or oven on higher heat until bbq sauce forms a glaze.

Ribs this way are always tender and moist, but still have just enough bite to the meat. It took me a long time to come around to abandoning the grill in favor of the oven for most of the cooking time, but once I did my ribs improved greatly. The downside is that the ribs aren't as smoky as some folks like. I generally prefer a lighter smoke taste so for me this way makes a lot of sense.

I agree completely. I have followed the same roads and arrived at the same destination. Not too concerned about smoke myself. Or what I can call it (other than words like succulent).

I had what Bon Appetit called the best ribs in America and they were very good. close to the bone. However, I found the much vaunted 'bark' akin to shoe leather.