• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Neo-Neapolitan ice cream

Alex

Even though I already had a two-bowl Cuisinart ice cream maker, I recently bought the ice cream attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer via the wonderfulness that is Craigslist. Why, you ask? I'll tell you. As you've probably figured out from the title of this topic, I thought it would be terrific to make three flavors at the same time, then combine them in a mold à la the traditional Neapolitan (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry). I've been reading through The Perfect Scoop and The Ultimate Ice Cream Book for ideas. My favorite so far combines goat cheese, strawberry-black pepper, and basil ice creams. What three flavors do you think would look and taste great together?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Chocolate, chili pepper/lime, macadamia nut. That's a flavor combo I use in truffles a lot. Or maybe go Asian and do Black sesame, banana, and white chocolate, or milk chocolate, green tea, black sesame. There are so many options! Definitely post some pictures, I'd love to see how it turns out.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

chocolate espresso/banana/pistachio would be my triple threat choices.

I can't have regular chocolate but I make choc ice cream with Dutched cocoa which doesn't give me a problem.

I've got a three-section mold that is shaped like a shamrock and I have used it for an ice cream mold with three flavors.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Milk Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana (my favorite all-together combo), could sub the peanut butter for hazelnut ice cream to be a little more mellow and grown-up.

Ginger, Dark Chocolate, Macadamia Brittle

Great ideas, all. Thank you. Please keep 'em coming.

I'm planning to make a bunch of peach ice cream (Lebovitz's recipe) tonight or tomorrow. Any thoughts about what'd go with that?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm planning to make a bunch of peach ice cream (Lebovitz's recipe) tonight or tomorrow. Any thoughts about what'd go with that?

I have made a layered ice cream "cake" with peach, butter pecan and coffee ice creams, I topped it with a scored round of shortbread just before serving. Then removed the shortbread, broke it into wedges and placed a wedge of the "cake" on each plate and leaned the shortbread against it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Flavors I like with peach: almond, any berry, sage or basil, ginger, lavender

• 1 month later...

My latest idea: Tiramisu (David Lebovitz), Nutella (from Chocolate & Zucchini), and Goat Cheese (Lebovitz or Charlie Trotter). It's not as colorful as many of the other combinations in this forum, but I'll bet the flavors will go together spectacularly well.

My latest idea: Tiramisu (David Lebovitz), Nutella (from Chocolate & Zucchini), and Goat Cheese (Lebovitz or Charlie Trotter). It's not as colorful as many of the other combinations in this forum, but I'll bet the flavors will go together spectacularly well.

Alex,

Have you made the Nutella ice cream from Chocolate & Zucchini before? I tried it a couple of years ago and had disastrous results - a very dense mass that never really froze (no wonder - it's almost 1/2 Nutella by weight!), like a solid version of Nutella. As for the taste, it was so rich that nobody cared for it. Definitely not recommended.

On the other hand, my experience so far with all of David Lebovitz's ice cream recipes has been fantastic!

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Alex,

Have you made the Nutella ice cream from Chocolate & Zucchini before? I tried it a couple of years ago and had disastrous results - a very dense mass that never really froze (no wonder - it's almost 1/2 Nutella by weight!), like a solid version of Nutella. As for the taste, it was so rich that nobody cared for it. Definitely not recommended.

On the other hand, my experience so far with all of David Lebovitz's ice cream recipes has been fantastic!

Interesting. No, I haven't done a practice batch yet, although I certainly planned to do so before making it part of the trio. Adam Roberts (aka The Amateur Gourmet) also endorsed Clotilde's recipe, so I figured it was OK. Giada D (Hmm, sounds like a rap star) has a more traditional, custard-based recipe on foodnetwork.com. Maybe I should just make a big batch of base and use that for all three.