• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chive Blossoms

David Ross

I have this incredible chive plant in my backyard. I bought the little thing one Summer about 5 years ago. Just stuck it out in a flower bed and didn't do anything else-no fertilizer, no trimming, nothing. It has endured winters under 4' of snow and below zero temperatures, yet it still comes back ever stronger each Spring.

I've got a ready supply of fresh chives a few feet from the kitchen, but now I've got the added benefit of these blossoms. Can I cook with them? Are they tasty eaten raw in a salad, a garnish for a soup?

001.JPG

Yes to salad, yes to soup garnish. The stem right beneath the flower can be thick and tough (at least the ones by me), so trim carefully.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Looked in my Herb book, and they have several things, first ,steep in white wine vinegar for salads and marinades, next scatter over a salad

next,dip in light batter and fry gently tillgolden brown,use as an accompanyment to fish or poultry,,,,

I have a huge patch of it and have never used the flowers,,,good to realize the uses,and will give it a shot...also if you want more, in the early spring you can dig them up and seperate them,and end up with a really large patch of them...(take over the garden...)

Bud

There are lots of ways to use chive blossoms.

Chopped and mixed into softened butter for a "composed" butter - wrap in plastic and form into a log, refrigerate overnight so flavor will blend.

They are great in an omelet.

Nice (and pretty) in biscuit dough - better with some grated cheddar.

I got a recipe for scalloped potatoes with chive flowers online some years ago.

I'll look for it.

Found it HERE

found another unusual recipe.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The chive with a flower is often stiff enough to be used as a skewer much like a rosemary twig. I've done this with small scallops and posted an image somewhere in the eG forums.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Wow. I never realized the burst of garlicky, onion flavor that would come from this little flower. Each flower has about 10 little florets and I used a couple of them to dress some fresh Copper River Salmon, in a Crudo dish along with applewood-smoked black pepper and preserved lemon oil.

008.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

My kid eats them off the plant. Sometimes I can't get within 3 feet of her.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”