• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thyme from my backyard

ckamom

I have a container garden growing, and my thyme leaves are very sparse.. my question is, should I try to pull off the miniscule leaves or just chop including the stem. I apologize in advance if this is a pedestrian inquiry, however I usually purchase fresh thyme that has very abundant leaves and I ususally only use them and discard the stem.

I just cut my thyme plant back completely because it was very woody. As the new stuff grows in, I will use the tender stems along with the leaves. As the plant become woody, I'll strip the leaves off and discard the stem.

cut it back and strip the leaves from the stems.

Cutting or pinching back the stems should encourage more growth. Are you overwatering? Most thymes require a loose, well-drained soil and not a great deal of water.

I live in the desert and it grows nicely here in containers, watered every three days except when the temps are over 100 and it is very windy, when I water every other day.

You also have to make sure the plants aren't root bound.

I keep mine in the same pots but pull the entire root ball out, pull out and trim off any roots that are circling the pot, cut some off the bottom, chuck in some new soil in the bottom and re-plant it.

Mine produces abundant foliage.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow.. thank you for the replies... I had originally thought that the stems were tender, but no, in fact were tough. I have enlisted my 5 y.o. to pull the leaves off for our roasted herb chicken dinner!! I live in the desert also andiesenji! Here's to the 100's =).

100s! It was 100 deg today in SE PA. On Memorial Day. Garden seems happy with it so far.

Interestingly enough we are experiencing a (knock on wood) fairly mild summer so far.. as in cool evenings and mornings. Loving it so far, but sorry for your 100's.

100s! It was 100 deg today in SE PA. On Memorial Day. Garden seems happy with it so far.

Interestingly enough we are experiencing a (knock on wood) fairly mild summer so far.. as in cool evenings and mornings. Loving it so far, but sorry for your 100's.

Here too it has been cooler than "normal" and yesterday it was downright cool. I wore a sweatshirt all day.

At least the winds have stopped. The past two days was really blustery and a large branch broke off one of my trees. I also acquired a plastic garden chair that blew into my yard night before last.

It's now sitting out by the road with a sandbag weighting it down so the owner can retrieve it.

Most of my herbs, do very well here. They are mostly of Mediterranean origin so they evolved in this type of climate.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We frequently aquire huge pool umbrellas in windy season. My greek oregano is doing beautifully!! It is a little difficult here (in Phoenix) to get the herbs to do well. Full sun means scorching heat, so I move my containers around daily.

We frequently aquire huge pool umbrellas in windy season. My greek oregano is doing beautifully!! It is a little difficult here (in Phoenix) to get the herbs to do well. Full sun means scorching heat, so I move my containers around daily.

I have a friend in Tucson who does a lot of herb gardening in pots.

She uses the double-pot method. A larger terracotta outer pot with sand in it with the plant pot buried in the sand. The outer pot sets in a shallow container that holds water. The water that soaks into the outer pot evaporates and keeps the inner pot cooler. She also uses shade cloth on those arched frames that are used for protecting young plants. It is in a panel that can be slid from one side of the arch to the other, depending on the direction of the sun. Usually she has it at the top so the plants can get morning and late afternoon sun but are protected from it midday.