• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Smokers

Corinna

I'm a newbie to smoking, but this time of year (and into the fall) it seems very appealing so I am looking for a basic electric smoker to start experimenting with. I want to be able to smoke traditional pork shoulders, briskets, etc. as well as other non-meat items, (cheese, etc.) After reading through the topics below, as well as the other extensive discussions on smokers on eG forums, I'm turning to you all to hear about which electric smokers you've tried, and their pros and cons. What's a good starter model?

Old electric smoker topic #1

Old electric smoker topic #2

Old electric smoker topic #3

Ease of use is the main thing I'm looking for, because the easier it is to use the more I will use it. (This is the main reason I'm choosing electric over charcoal.) From what I've read temperature capabilities (apparently poultry needs to be smoked at a higher temp) and efficiency/accessibility of fuel are other important factors. Anything else I should to keep in mind?

These Bradley and Masterbuilt units look like good candidates. Do you own either of them? Would you buy them again? Are there others I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

WoW

thanks for starting this topic. Im also interested. some time ago I built a 'cabinet' of water-proof ply-wood with 10 racks.

I funneled in the smoke with an electric hot plate either on the bottom or though a duct is it was warm so I had cold smoke.

I used to make chickens whole after I brined them when it was cool enough in the fall then finished them in a low oven

gave many away in the Fall everybody including me loved them

so now that Im back in the game do to MC I plane to look for something easier to use for MC Bacon

thanks!

I'm sure you will get some great advice here.

You might also look at and subscribe to Amazing Ribs as Craig has compiled a lot of essential information about smokers, electric and otherwise.

The comments from subscribers are also very helpful.

Check the recipes and other sections on the site - warning, you can spend a lot of time because there is a lot to read.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have an Original Bradley Smoker and I would definitely buy it again. I decided on the Original versus the digital because of reports of temperature variation of 20 degrees or more with the digital version. I bought an Auber PID for temperature control. The only reason I would even consider a digital would be to get the extra height and 2 extra rack slots. Only having 4 racks hasn't posed a problem for me.

From an ease of use standpoint I love this setup. The Auber PID can be programmed for multiple time/temperature settings. When you want the smoke to start, you just stack the wood pucks in the tube, using 1puck for each 20minutes of smoke (plus 2 pusher pucks to get the first puck on to the puck burner).

Some people think the heating element isn't strong enough to recover to your desired temperature fast enough, but I haven't found this to be a problem. Some people have added a second heating element to get around this perceived problem.

Bradley did have a batch of units with defective heating elements and I happened to get one of them. Bradley was very good to deal with getting a replacement.

Take a look around the Bradley forums. Most posters there are Bradley fans, myself included, but you can also get an idea of what people perceive as problems

HTH,

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

I've had smokers for over 30 years - many different kinds. And I keep going back to the Big Chief electric. I make bacon, ham, smoked salmon, pastrami, you name it. It's simple, easy to use, fairly low temp and inexpensive.

I'll talk about the Masterbuilt, since that's the one I've got.

The temperature control seems spot on, with minimal variation over a long cook. It's also very well insulated, so there's no problem using it in the dead of winter here in the northeast.

The smoke generation is okay, but it's nothing like a charcoal smoker. The Masterbuilt, and perhaps most electric smokers, have the wood chips deposited on a tray that seats on top of the heating element. The heating element heats the tray sufficiently so that the chips start smoldering, generating the smoke. That works okay, but it really gives off not all that much smoke, although enough for a somewhat smoky flavor, particularly if you're cooking thinner cuts like fish. You have to hold back from adding too much wood chips, since then they dry out before starting to smolder and you have to empty out the wood tray and start again. Also, once your smoker gets up to temperature the heating element turns on far less frequently, for short periods, so that it's tougher to get a fresh batch of wood to catch (which you're adding every 40 minutes or so).

They are convenient, and where I used to live we couldn't have charcoal so that was my only option. And you do get some smoke flavor. But they have a tough time replicating a real smoker, in which you can throw bigger chunks of wood and have charcoal giving a nice flavor too.

This is all very useful, thanks folks! I'm also glad this topic will be helpful to others.

I bought an Auber PID for temperature control. ... The Auber PID can be programmed for multiple time/temperature settings.

Please can you talk some more about the PID and what it brings to the party. (Especially since it increases the price of the project quite a bit.)

When you want the smoke to start, you just stack the wood pucks in the tube, using 1puck for each 20minutes of smoke (plus 2 pusher pucks to get the first puck on to the puck burner).

Those of you who have experience with the Bradley Smokers, I'm interested in knowing how you feel about the "pucks."

Thanks again!

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Those of you who have experience with the Bradley Smokers, I'm interested in knowing how you feel about the "pucks."

Thanks again!

I think they're great: lots of choices (though I think think intensity of the smoke given up by different types is as much a consideration as the "flavor"); inexpensive; convenient. What else do you want to know?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks again!

I think they're great: lots of choices (though I think think intensity of the smoke given up by different types is as much a consideration as the "flavor"); inexpensive; convenient. What else do you want to know?

Some people seem to resent being tied to them, or find them overpriced. You don't, though.

Which are your favorite varieties?

The PID controller (proportional integral derivative) brings basically hands free operation to the party. An additional benefit is that if you get the right one you can also use it in conjunction with a large rice cooker or roaster for sous vide cooking. I have a Sous Vide Supreme, but there are times I either need dual temperatures or more space than it provides. Without it you either need to monitor the smoker temperature quite often with the original or buy the digital version. Either of those options will work however.

I like the pucks. Some people think they're too expensive, but I think the price is reasonable considering the convenience. They end up costing around $1.00 per hour of smoke. I've used hickory, apple, cherry and maple. They also have mesquite, alder and a couple other flavors. There are guys on the Bradley site who have figured out how to make their own. It's not worth my time.

You could always get just the smoker and see how that goes before investing in a PID. There are a lot of people who get along just fine that way.

HTH,

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

Thanks again!

Some people seem to resent being tied to them, or find them overpriced. You don't, though.

Which are your favorite varieties?

I probably use 70% hickory, 20% apple and a smattering of the others.

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

Must agree with Larry. I have been using an original Bradley with PID control for several years. Yesterday we had a gathering of 80 of our closest friends and pulled pork was the star of the day. Rubbed 4 whole butts on Friday - Started smoking with pecan pucks at 7 p.m. Saturday at 210 degrees F.- Wrapped in foil at midnight and dropped temperature to 190 and served at 1 p.m. - Rats - almost no leftovers again.

Paul

I also have a Materbuit 30 inch electric smoker. It really has been an excellent buy. I went this way over a Cookshack because I wanted to see how much I would use it before putting down the cash for a Cookshack. So far the Materbuilt has met my expectations. They do have some issues with poor wiring but the new models are suppose to have addressed the problem. I circumvented and did some rewiring when my unit was new to reduce the chance of a problem. The only issue I've had is when I tried to smoke on a day when it was in the 40s. The digital control panel gave an error message until it warmed up I couldn't get it to turn on.

That is an exciting project. I have a Masterbuilt and am quite happy with it. The reason why i chose this was because the Bradley required you to get their proprietary wood chip cakes and I don't have access to that where i live. The Mastebuilt allows you to use any wood chip BUT, it seems to work better if the chips are very small pieces or splinters. My only complaint about the MB is that the temp can shoot up passed what you desire so I tend to set the temp lower than my desired objective. Also, something I may not be able to do with a Bradley is to use my MB to cold smoke salmon by attaching a separate smoke box via the wood chip loader on the side using a flexible clothes-dryer duct hose. It's a simple modification and it has worked. The advantage of the Bradley is that you do not have to check the wood to see if it is still generating smoke as it automatically loads it for you. But heck, that is part of enjoying the smoking process right... to see it happening! Hope you are successful in your project.

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

I dug out a5030 MECO,that I forgot I had,the other day and did a pulled pork.It turned out really good,and was easy.Did not use the water in it,as it seemed overkill..Glad I found it....fortunately had a big bag of Hickory chunks...used it on AC/not charcoal...

Bud..

I have had the Masterbuilt 30 inch for a few months now. I've done brisket, ribs, Pastrami, bacon, cold smoked salmon and cold smoked cheese. The latter two were done using the A MAZE N Smoke Generator sitting inside the smoke box.

While agreeing with some of the others above that it doesn't give the slap you around the face experience that you get with charcoal and fire based smoke, I'd have to say it gives depth and subtlety and some of the best smoked products I've tasted.

I smoke a lot at around 77C (171F) to really slow cook and have found that there is a difficulty getting the chips to ignite because the thermostat doesn't start the element heating that often at this temperature. To counter this, I dial in a higher heat and let the unit heat until I'm satisfied that the chips are smoking and then dial the thermostat back down.

I'd totally recommend this unit if you are looking at an electric smoker.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I have had the Masterbuilt 30 inch for a few months now. I've done brisket, ribs, Pastrami, bacon, cold smoked salmon and cold smoked cheese. The latter two were done using the A MAZE N Smoke Generator sitting inside the smoke box.

While agreeing with some of the others above that it doesn't give the slap you around the face experience that you get with charcoal and fire based smoke, I'd have to say it gives depth and subtlety and some of the best smoked products I've tasted.

I smoke a lot at around 77C (171F) to really slow cook and have found that there is a difficulty getting the chips to ignite because the thermostat doesn't start the element heating that often at this temperature. To counter this, I dial in a higher heat and let the unit heat until I'm satisfied that the chips are smoking and then dial the thermostat back down.

I'd totally recommend this unit if you are looking at an electric smoker.

The A Maze N smoke generator is an excellent addition and one that I've been thinking about but you can also rig up a cold smoke generator like this one which is inserted into the hole where the chip loader goes. You can use this to pump smoke into your smoker when cooking at lower temperatures. You can also add a computer fan to the exhaust to help dry out jerky by keeping a lot of air circulating. Just be careful if you are burning chips as the increased air circulation can cause chips to ignite.

I use chips most often but the Masterbuilt does very well with chunks that have been split down to size to fit the chip tray. A couple of good sized chunks will burn better with less white smoke than a handful of chips.

CIMG6175.JPG

CIMG6171.JPG

CIMG6242.JPG

Perfect timing for this thread as I have the same kind of question. I would be also interested to get opinions on Cookshake electric smokers.

I bought a Cookshack "Smokette" (the smallest one) six or seven years ago, but a few years ago gave it to my son as I wasn't using it very much. It works very well for its intended use, which is "cook-smoking".

It's very well made and uses small chunks of wood, rather than having to buy the "Bisquettes " that the Bradley requires, or chips that others need. Apple and cherry wood are common here, so just make small chunks of them and no need to buy anything. It's also very economical in its use of wood.

It's very good for backyard cook-smoking if that's what you're after and very well made, including stainless steel construction. It's also insulated very well, which makes a difference during cold weather.

But, it was almost useless for smoking fish, which is what I most use a smoker for. Its temperature control doesn't allow a low enough setting. It's also expensive. I paid less than $500 when I bought mine and see that it's now $625. If one wants to try smoking for less money check out the "Little Chief" smokers. I still have an old, small, top loader and it works better for fish.

I have a Masterbuilt and just used it over the weekend. For the most part I am happy with it, though there does seem to be a bit of a learning curve in using it. I chose it over the Bradley because 1) it was cheaper and 2) since I still use a Weber Kettle grill and a watersmoker on occasion, I didn’t want to be tied to the wood pucks. Getting sufficient smoke generation was an issue at first. However, I’ve found that by using a mixture of wood chips and wood chunks produces a nice, constant stream of smoke and there is no shortage of smoke flavor in the foods I’ve cooked in it.

I would say that I tend to use my Masterbuilt for items that need to be cooked overnight, such as pork shoulders or briskets, while I use my watersmoker for items such as chicken and salmon. However, I’d also say this is just personal preference on my part and not a deficiency of the Masterbuilt.

Have any of you had success with poultry and/or fish in a Bradley?

Thoughts on the original vs digital?

I've cold smoked Salmon and cheese in my Bradley (Nova Style Lox) using a cold smoke attachment that separates the smoke element from the main chamber. I haven't hot smoked any fish, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work well.

Chicken is no problem either.

The only downside I see to the Digital is that it has some temperature variation. When you get right down to it though, our household ovens probably have as much variation.

Do you have specific concerns about fish and chicken?

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

I just picked up the 6 rack Bradley digital smoker. I went for the 6 rack because I wanted the extra space and took advantage of the 20% off from Amazon this month. From everything I've learned about the Bradley, if you don't need the extra room, just get the original cheap one and an Auber PID, don't waste your money on the digital because it can fluctuate +/- 20F. Eventually I plan to get one to replace the digital thermostat but it seems to be more important for things like sausages and less so for the items I plan on doing. Bradley sells a cold smoke adapter or you can find plenty of DIY instructions online. I haven't smoked anything yet but I was running some temp tests the other day. With the machine inside and the oven off, the temp was reading at a fairly stable 128 with the top vent open and 146 with the vent closed. this was after being on for about 40 minutes. I am going to repeat this test a few times just to double check but that gives you a good idea how much heat the actual smoker puts off without the oven's heating element.

Edited by Carlton (log)

I just picked up the 6 rack Bradley digital smoker. I went for the 6 rack because I wanted the extra space and took advantage of the 20% off from Amazon this month. From everything I've learned about the Bradley, if you don't need the extra room, just get the original cheap one and an Auber PID, don't waste your money on the digital because it can fluctuate +/- 20F. Eventually I plan to get one to replace the digital thermostat but it seems to be more important for things like sausages and less so for the items I plan on doing. Bradley sells a cold smoke adapter or you can find plenty of DIY instructions online. I haven't smoked anything yet but I was running some temp tests the other day. With the machine inside and the oven off, the temp was reading at a fairly stable 128 with the top vent open and 146 with the vent closed. this was after being on for about 40 minutes. I am going to repeat this test a few times just to double check but that gives you a good idea how much heat the actual smoker puts off without the oven's heating element.

I've found that with just the smoke generator on and a puck burning, but inside the chamber, the temperature rise is approximately 60F to 70F above ambient. With the cold smoke attachment, it's about 25F to 30 F. (4 rack original)

Make sure you leave the vent at least 1/4 to 1/2 way open. Smoke rolling back into the generator box has caused some people problems.

Larry

Larry Lofthouse