• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storage of Tokaji Wine

Jen Rehm

Last night I tasted Royal Tokaji 5 Puttonyos 2006. What a revelation! Where has this been all my life!

I am busy scouring my neighborhood for a bottle (or 2), but have some questions about storing this gem.

I it was served cold so I am assuming the fridge is the best place to store it, but what about after you open it? How long will it retain it's flavor profile? Is it like a porto that you can drink over months or something that will turn undesirable in a week or two? This was my first experience with Tokji, are there others that you like?

Any input is welcome!

Thanks

Jen

Can you eat that?

Last night I tasted Royal Tokaji 5 Puttonyos 2006. What a revelation! Where has this been all my life!

I am busy scouring my neighborhood for a bottle (or 2), but have some questions about storing this gem.

I it was served cold so I am assuming the fridge is the best place to store it, but what about after you open it? How long will it retain it's flavor profile? Is it like a porto that you can drink over months or something that will turn undesirable in a week or two? This was my first experience with Tokji, are there others that you like?

Any input is welcome!

Thanks

Jen

Hi,

It is best to store the bottle in a temp controlled environment like a wine chiller then put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before serving. Storing it in the fridge for more than 2 months may make the cork contract and affect the wine itself. What I do when I am anticipating opening any good bottle of wine which I know I won't get to finish is to get an empty screw capped glass bottle (Pelegrino/Evian or similar 300-500ml size) and transfer some of the wine into it. Fill it up to the brim and screw it closed and stick it in the fridge... that will keep for up to a week or two as long as there is no air between the wine and the screw cap. The Tokaji is not like port and you cannot leave that in the bottle. The reason for port's longevity is from it's alcohol content 20% for port versus Tokaji 10%. Port is a fortified wine whereas Tokaji is not. Enjoy!

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

• 5 months later...

Sorry Docdix, but I must disagree. Remember that traditionally (although RTWC isn't really very traditional) Tokaji Aszu was fermented open to the air for several years. Like Sherry and Vin Jaune, it is protected from deleterious effects by a "voile" - sherry "flor", which controls the way in which oxygen affects the wine. Anyway, what I'm trying to say here, is that first of all, the wine is immortal, and secondly that it extremely stable. As I type, I have a bottle of Tokaji Édes Szamarodni 1993 in front of me. It was opened about three weeks ago and sat since then in my centrally heated sitting room, until I brought it into my study to answer someone else about it. Admittedly it does have a cork in it, but there is only about 3/4 inch of wine left in the bottle.

It has not changed in the least in that time.

I'm not saying that RTWC wine is as stable as that, but strictly, that's a criticism of their way of making it. If you really want to see what great Tokaji Aszu is like, try one from Királyudvár or Istvan Szépsy. In a much more modern style. Disznökö is also wonderful, redolent of crystallised orange peel and marmalade.

I'm a total fan of Tokaji wines and have visited and tasted my way round the area on several occasions.

Edited by ianinfrance (log)

All the best

Ian (yes in France)

• 6 years later...

I got a new flashlight so I was rummaging around in the closet.  Among other things I have a 5 puttonyos Aszu from 1971.  I'm guessing it's still good.  Unlike, sadly, most of my old wines.  This bottle has been stored standing up.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou