• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: SobaAddict70 (2011) - Market basket blogging

3523278549_90fea5dc5a_o.jpg

Ricotta gnocchi with asparagus, mushrooms and herbs.

Steam asparagus until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Shock in ice water, then set aside.

Slice mushrooms (I used crimini and shiitakes) thinly, then cook in 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter and 1-2 white shallots, chopped, along with a pinch of salt. Cook until mushrooms become tender and golden brown. Finish mushrooms with a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir.

Return asparagus to skillet. Heat until asparagus are warmed through. Give vegetables a couple of stirs, taste for salt and pepper, scatter garlic chives and sage on top, then serve at once.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Soba, in re: the light fluffy gnocchi, have you tried using self-rising flour, rather than plain? The extra baking soda may be just what you need, but cut down on any additional salt until you have tried it once or twice.

Those light bulbs caused quite a double-take on my part; I thought "WTF, shelf stable eggs?", then I had a second look! :laugh:

:laugh: on the light bulbs.

Thanks for the tip judiu.

Not sure what I want for breakfast. I'm also not fully awake just yet.

Soba, you're most welcome/ Please note that the idea is a guess, not a tried and true tip, per se! Thanks for this blog, it's good to see ya!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Okay, I want to go make those ricotta gnocchi. RIGHT NOW! Darn doctors appt and playdate killing my afternoon :hmmm:

Have you seen the cookbook Olive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks? I got it based on an eGullet recommendation and although I've yet to cook from it, everything in it looks yummy...

I think that there's an eGullet blog computer gremlin, my hard drive blew up the day after my blog ended! Thank goodness for Tapatalk, or I'd have been internet-less until DH could fix it.

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

From this morning:

2875208627_1502110972_o.jpg

Shiitake mushroom and fromage blanc omelette

Roasted Austrian fingerling potatoes, sliced tomatoes

These were leftover fingerlings that seemed to have been languishing in the crisper for a few months. :blink:

At least potatoes keep forever.

Slice on a bias; drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, then roast at 350 F for 45 minutes. For fingerling potatoes, I rarely do the par-boil method.

Shiitake mushroom and fromage blanc omelette -- filling consists of shiitake mushrooms that have been cooked in butter with garlic and parsley, salt and pepper to taste; to which was added 1 tablespoon fromage blanc.

Lunch today:

2523772436_ef17d8aca4_o.jpg

Linguine with asparagus, fromage blanc and lemon

linguine

olive oil

yellow onion, finely diced

asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch lengths

pinch of red pepper flakes

lemon juice

grated lemon zest

salt, to taste

freshly ground black pepper, to taste

fromage blanc (1)

chives

freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook linguine until just al dente. Drain linguine, reserving one or two ladlefuls cooking water.

Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil until it shimmers. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the asparagus and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.

Add the linguine and the reserved cooking water to the skillet along with the lemon juice and zest. Check seasoning. Cook, stirring, until the linguine is al dente and the asparagus tender, about 1-2 minutes. Add the fromage blanc and chives. Stir. Transfer the pasta to bowls and serve immediately, passing Parmesan cheese at the table.

(1) Goat cheese is a nice substitution.

I've left out proportions intentionally -- this is one of those dishes where it always comes out different each time I make it.

I've not been feeling well the last day or so. Had a sore throat that seems to have mysteriously crept up on me so I went to bed early last night. Dinner was takeout Japanese -- miso soup, noodles and lots of hot tea. I hope it doesn't develop into a summer cold which would mightily suck. It's still lingering, so I'm going to go back to bed.

Soba, feel better soon, please! If you can take Vitamin C, I suggest you up the ante by a factor of at least 2. If you take more than you can absorb, it "comes out in the wash" so to speak. :unsure: Since you're staying home anyway... :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

On behalf of all of us, feel better Soba! And to all the readers, we're going to do our best to schedule another SobaAddict70 eG Foodblog in the not-too-distant future.