• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crab Boil or Lobster Boil?

Summer has got me thinking about seafood, and specifically crab and lobster boils. Throw some seafood and veg into a pot over a fire and then tear it into with your hands over a newspaper-covered table. Beer or lemonade alongside.

So, what's standard in your house - the crab boil or the lobster boil? Or even another kind of seafood? And what are the 'must-haves' in your pot - do you go in for potatoes and corn on the cob, or do you eschew veg entirely? What's your favorite seasoning?

I'm in New England, so lobster would be standard. But my family and I much prefer steamers ('soft-shelled' clams) accompanied by corn-on-the-cob (when in season). Lots of butter (and salt for the corn), but no additional seasoning.

I don't like to do the 'boil' thing common here in RI: shellfish, chourico, potatoes, corn. I don't think steaming them all together really does any favors for the individual ingredients. Something's always overcooked.

Even though I'm of New England decent, I lived for a few years in Maryland, and much prefer crabs with Old Bay over lobster any day. Crabs are getting too expensive to mail order any more, though.

I think I'm going to do a crawfish boil for the family this summer; I had them a few times in New Orleans, but the wife and kids have never had the pleasure. A lot more economical than placing a crab order, and more fun to eat than lobster.

Beer (lots!) is my beverage of choice for all the above.

Here in New England, it's a lobster boil. Potato, corn, and chorizo standard, maybe clams too, no seasoning save for the lovely flavor of lobster.

Back when I lived in DC/Baltimore, nothing was better than a good crab boil with lots of Old Bay Seasoning. I don't remember anything with them besides beer.

This is making me very hungry.

Shrimp boil! Plain water with salt and Louisiana crab boil seasoning (the liquid kind), and use twice as much as the bottle says use. To avoid overcooking, add the new potatos first, cook for 15 minutes; add the corn, cook for five minutes; add the shrimp, cook just until done. I like to take my corn and potatos and toss them in a clean cooler, adding a stick of butter and some powdered crab boil seasoning. The shrimp cool just enough to be able to handle them. Homemade cocktail sauce is ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco.

Lots of cold beer. And preferably, a beach.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Crabs are too much work for too little reward unless we're talking Dungeness. Lobster Boil / Clam Bake, for sure, though I once attended a crawfish and shrimp boil outside of New Orleans that was kind of special.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Crawfish boil, all the way. Zatarain's, both liquid & powdered seasoning in the water. Corn, new potatoes and small onions boiled first so they don't get overdone when the crawfish are cooked. Easily my favorite food in the entire world.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Cover the table with brown paper, a shovel full of boiled crabs in the middle, some pitchers of beer and a few rolls of paper towels = heaven

Edited by ChrisOC (log)

Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages