• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground Beef Tacos

Chris Hennes

Having grown up in a neighborhood with a large Mexican population it's surprising that I never had tacos as a kid although there were plenty of enchiladas, tamales, flour tortillas, and heavenly salsas.

I had kids of my own before I ever had tacos and they came from a shabby "Taco house". Ever after I patterned my tacos after Johnny's. Ground beef, McCormick's seasoning, yellow cheese, raw onion, lettuce, and salsa. A cold beer and the whole gang was happy.

Chris Hennes, I blame you! :) For nostalgia's sake I picked up a box of Old El Paso hard taco kit. After all this talk I have to see how it holds up.

Let the grief giving commence. :P

Do I get points for using amazing Pat LaFrieda ground beef?

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I harbour a bit of nostalgia for the Old El Paso pack myself. In fact, we still have them once or twice a year, and enjoy them for what they are - they're meant to be fun, not serious, so enjoy away, Grace! Aside from gaucamole dip mix they were the closest thing to mexican food I ever had until we went to Chi Chi's Restaurant in Calgary in the 80s. When I first arrived here in the mid-90s grated carrot was one of the suggested toppings for kit tacos along with sour cream, cheese and lettuce.

Jaymes' Sloppy Joses sound brilliant, and I like all the suggestions for seasonings here. I may have to make kit-less 'kit tacos' this week!

edited for clarity

Edited by Snadra (log)

I think the moment in college when I realized that my spice rack already had all the ingredients that were in the taco seasoning packet and that I didn't need to buy another mix, was one of the turning points in my cooking development. Then, the day I mixed the taco beef into my blue box macaroni & cheese and used sour cream instead of butter and milk to moisten the whole thing was another! Amazing - I don't have to follow the box, and things will still come out delicious?! :biggrin:

OMG those hard shell tacos are exactly how I remembered them. Fantastic and fun. Odd, most childhood foods really don't hold up.

Boyfriend had never had them before and he said he wanted them once a week. I did use great meat, cheese and salsa. I also had a mango salsa I made and maybe 5 kinds of hot sauce along with refried beans, so it was nothing like what I grew up with. Tasteless cheese, tasteless tomato and iceberg lettuce.

I'm considering braising some chicken thighs for more tacos this week.

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking