• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zucchini 2011 and beyond

heidih

Surprised to find a dozen flowers and a half dozen fruit forming this morning. Another bat. The darker green are harder to spot in the back of the bed. I thought our plants were spent. Nice week ahead so I'll get another harvest. I plan to grate, squeeze and freeze a bit. Not much. Just a few four cups for winter corn/zuc cakes. A NewYears dinner menu. Not at all a fussy tweezer plating person but might invest in some smaller ring molds. Or the more reasonable red-neck tin cans....though not sure about tin can lining liking a cast iron pan and its heat. I could use some more ring molds anyway. Not that expensive. I use the English muffin tins all the time for various salads, potatoes...and english muffins. 

zuccini big 2021.png

I actually prefer the free-form fritters/cakes. I find you get a more varied crispy edge. The boys did one year try to use those sneaky hidden bats as bats with tennis balls - said too unwieldly and heavy. Things are dense. Segued to Martha Stewart - hollow and punch holes and other patterns all over, lit with tea lights. Great on doorstep for Halloween.

I predicted a 'free-form' response. Just like latkes or corn fritters. How I have always made them. I grew up EasternShore Maryland/Delaware. Corn, oyster, clam fritters. For a mid week meal, this time, I cut time and we were surprised how good they were. That amount of batter would have been a cast iron slave to the pan for 5-6 batches. No issues for a family gathering or BBQ---not working and on holiday. 

I like to stretch the norm and be surprised. Excellent next day lunch. 

We used giant zucchinis for target practice in the past years...less tolerant of food waste now. 

• Like 1

The pale green zucchini have been on sale a lot last few months. Nice small size generally. I had a flavorful shrimp and coconut broth in fridge and added a good amount of that type grated. I'd never tried that before. It sort of melted into the broth and added the desired heft and vegetal element. A few gnocchi from shelf-stable packet and a light supper was enjoyed. I don't enjoy chunked zucchini in soup but this worked for me. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1