• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marco Pierre White Steak House, Bristol

• 3 weeks later...

As I was staying in the Cadbury House Doubetree I decided to visit the MPW Steakhouse. Although part of the hotel a number of diners were just visiting the restaurant with hotel guests that had not booked being turned away or being told there was a two about wait for a table. It looked fairly full to me so I was pleased to have booked a few days earlier.

My starter consisted of thinly sliced beetroot with goats cheese and walnuts (£6.50). It was simple but excellent. Good quality ingredients well put togethet and beautifully presented.

As it was a steakhouse I went for steak and chose an 8 oz sirloin (£23.00). It was cooked as requested (medium rare) and came with a slice of grilled beef tomato which packed a real tomato flavour and two huge onion rings. A side of triple cooked chips (£3) were good but over salted and not quite as crisp as they should have been. The real disappointment was the steak. It lacked the depth of flavour you get from a top quality steak eg at the Hawksmoor. It tasted no better than the steak I buy from Donald Russell and cook at home. I also ordered a pepper sauce which arrived a few minutes after the steak, aftr reminding the waitress.

I then had a portion of local cheeses (£8) which were ok and consisted of a Somerset brire (served cold from the fridge), a pungent smoked applewood cheddar, an excellent Bath blue and a cheese that the waitress couldn’t remember what it was called. All ready plated and served with celery, good quality biscuits, grapes and a shot of apple juice. I’m still not sure what the point of the apple juice was! The cheeses were ok.

Finally an excellently executed lemon soufflé (£6). A really sweet soufflé with a tangy, sharp lemon sauce to be poured in. One of the better soufflés I have had in some time.

With a glass (175ml) of pouilly fuisse (£10.80) and a glass of red the bill came to £66 plus service.

Next time I would try something else as a main course as the chef clearly knows what he is doing and the problem with the main course was the quality of the meat not the way it was cooked. Don't expect MPW back to his 3 star best, this is a good quality chain using his name.