• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone had success tempering Felchin Cru Sauvage?

Hi all, I've been given some Felchlin Cru Sauvage as a sample by a supplier and it is delicious, however I know it's (understatement alert) meant to be a bit of a pain to temper. Does anyone have any hints or tips for handling this chocolate?

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum. :unsure:

Edited by AnythingButPlainChocolate (log)

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

Wild bean cocoa won't have a consistent cocoa butter content across batches, and so it is naturally a bit of a pain to temper. I've had reasonable success with double-tempering - bring it as close to temper as you can on the first go, then chill it down, re-melt, and temper again. This seems to homogenize the fats a bit better, and you'll find that it handles better on the second go-round.

This is how I handle wild cocoa from here in Ecuador (Amazon-grown, mostly).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I mold cru sauvage into small bars. Many of the different dark couveratures are recommended to melt to 45 C approx.. With Cru Sauvage you need to take it higher..into the 50 C to really melt all the fat crystals. Valrhona is a good example where the instructions are to melt in the 50's because of the high cocoa butter content.

Cru sauvage is imho one of the worlds great chocolates,I must have tempered a hundred kilos of this either by hand ..table, vaccine and microwave methods...and by machine and have never had a significant problem..

As with all felchlin chocolates important to go up to 50c to melt, prechrystalize this one at 28c and work with at 32c. Simples