• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sri Lankan Meat Dish, marinated in vinegar?

Mr. Bourdain mentioned/tasted a meat dish during his Sri Lanka/Ceylon episode that I believe was marinated in vinegar and cooked with chilis and lime, perhaps prepared in southern Sri Lanka. A Google search for same yielded no results.

Can someone suggest how to prepare such a dish and provide a recepe or two?

I don't remember this episode but I do have a Sri Lankan cookbook handy. No promises if this is the same dish.

Coat some thinly sliced sirloin in ground pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes in salt and white vinegar. Quickly sear beef in pan. Then add a sliced red onion and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add a couple of sliced chillies and serve.

Adapted from Peter Kuravita's Serendip.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

More complex than suggestion above, and sounds good. I wonder ... is 1/4 C. vinegar for 3# of beef sounds abt. right for a marinade? I'll have to try this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by mvr556 (log)

The main thing isn't 1 cup or 2 cups or 2.83 cups: it's if all of the meat is in contact with the marinade. I certainly wouldn't marinade the meat in vinegar for too long, tho'.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Interesting topic. Indian beef Vindaloo is made by initially marinating the meat in vinegar and spices overnight.

Lizzie Collingham in her book "Curry a tale of cooks and conquerors" related that this dish comes from Goa and is based on Portuguese vinegar marinated meat. My bet is that this dish comes from a similar foundation.

The lime juice is likely a local variation that I'd add as a late addition flavouring before serving.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog