• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellowfin Tuna

Goatjunky

I recently came home from a visit in Long Beach to a friends house with about 20 lbs of frozen yellowfin. They were making room in their freezer for more fish. Its been frozen since february in nice cryovac packages. I haven't had yellowfin in awhile but if I remember correctly its a little on the oilier side isn't it?

What are your favorite recipes or suggestions for cooking it. I usually marinade it and grill but am looking for suggestions.

I love tartare with sriracha, sesame oil, green onions, etc made with fresh albacore and am wondering if I could make something similar with this even if its been frozen

Thanks!

It's a touch on the oily side, yes, but the flavour is superior.... I am very fond of yellowfin tuna steaks prepared in Maito, which is a local delicacy here. You'd need some banana or large canna leaves (but you're in California, so that shouldn't be so hard to source.) If the fish was frozen in steaks, you'll have no problem preparing it once it's thawed - it will behave more or less equally to fresh.

Start by washing the banana leaves in hot water, then break the spine of the leaf at about halfway by hitting it with the handle of your knife.

Meanwhile, roll your fish in fresh chopped herbs and spices. I like powdered aji pepper, rosemary, and lots of dill, with a dash of garlic powder for good measure.

Lay the fish (one steak to a leaf) onto the leaves.

Surround them with chopped palm hearts, baby potatoes, and diced green onions.

Wrap the banana leaves - start by folding the edges towards the center, then fold in half using the crease you made in the spine. Tie the ends with a bit of twine.

These can be grilled (keep water handy for sprinkling so that you don't burn through the leaves) or steamed - I think they're better on the grill. Depending on the size of the chunk of fish, they're done after 45 minutes or so (large chunks of fish will take longer, naturally). Be cautious when opening the packets, though - Maito effectively steams/poaches the fish in its own juices, and escaping steam has burned me in the past....

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Yes, frozen fresh and held properly, oily fish should be as good 3-6 months after freezing as they were fresh.

PC's approach sounds good. Over here, I like to prepare cutlets of yellowtail 'gremolata'. Do you know 'gremolata' ? It works beautifully with this fish.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

• 1 month later...

I just bought some Ahi Tuna, frozen and sealed from Wallyworld, (don't shoot me, it's all there is in this central wasteland). I would love to sear it and serve rare. I searched and can't find the answer I need.....Is it safe to serve mass frozen cryovaced tuna rare?

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

My understanding is that if it has been handled well (as in kept properly frozen and not subjected to vast temperature fluctuations) it is fine rare. The freezing I think kills some of the bugs one might be concerned about.

Thank you, I wish I knew how it had been handled the long road to Ar.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Not a Wallyworld fan myself (never been in one), but I think large corps tend to protect their assets fairly well and have fairly rigorous standards for suppliers and shippers.

Thank you. Not a fan either, but it's pretty much all there is around here.

Brenda

• 4 months later...