• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sea Salt in Chocolate Confections

peter rabbit

Hi again,

Have a few bark receipes using sea salt. Would I use grocery store Morton Natural Sea Salt, Chef Rubber sea salt (i.e. Smoked Alderwood Sea Salt) or pick up som Fleur De Sel at the gourmet cooking shop? I like to use quality products in my bark confections but is there a distinct difference in the sea salts used for chocolate confections?

I'd like some direction on this decision and difference between the sea salt products.

Thanks!

I'd say that you should just choose based on which crystals you prefer the shape/feel of. The salt in them is NaCl whichever way you look at it, the crystal shape/size can make quite a difference though.

Taste them--there is an amazing difference in salt. Find one you like the taste and texture with the chocolate. I prefer Fleur de Sel myself.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

My vote is also with Maldon. There doesn't seem to be any harshness at all to it. If a salt can be smooth - this one is! It's a flake sea salt so it has a nice crunch that's not too hard.