• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Espresso Beans in Chocolate Bark

peter rabbit

I have a great list of new types of bark I am going to try. During my research, I did see Expresso Beans covered in chocolate. So I'd like to make a bitter sweet chocolate bark using Expresso Beans. Couldn't find a receipe but did see retail stores selling the product: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

So in the product is described as using Arabica whole bean roasted etc.

I did find illy whole bean coffee (medium roast for any preparation)described as 100% Arabica roasted coffee beans.

Can I use this product "as is" in the bark or do shops do something else with the bean before adding it to a bark recipe?

I think people will like this but can't wrap my head around putting a coffee bean used to prepare coffee in a chocolate confection. I know how to brew a coffee bean but can't imagine eating one....even if it has chocolate on on.

Help me figure this one out....THANKS!

If you want to avoid the crumbling issue, you can also soak coffee beans (especially "middling" ones) in spirits overnight, then dry them a little bit by draining them and roasting another 2-3 minutes in a hot pan over medium heat. This gives you a nice liqueur flavour in the final bean, and it's a bit less crumbly than a straight roasted bean. The spirits you use for this also come out a bit coffeed, which makes them excellent apertifs.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

In my younger days when I used to do more road trips, chocolate-covered coffee beans were often my stay-awake snacks while driving. A properly roasted coffee bean is already going to be pretty dry and crunchy, I don't see that additional roasting is going to be needed.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

It's to remove the surface alcohol after the bean has been soaked in spirits. Alcohol messes with the texture of chocolate, especially in barks, but if the beans are surface-dry they won't cause a problem and they'll be less crumbly. Otherwise I wouldn't advocate re-roasting, unless of course you want a darker flavour than the beans already provide (medium vs. dark roasts).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)