• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican...

RockADS21

Would love to help you, but can't.

When going to Mexican dinners, or serving them at my home, I always serve with the meal Sangria (either red or white), or good Mex beer like Dos Equis, or a mixture of lemonade and Mexican amaretto.

Edit - ditto Tommy's Margarita suggestion - but personally prefer them with the appetizers only. I find Margaritas kind of sweet/acidic to drink throughout dinner.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

that place in montclair by any chance?

wherever it is, they'll most likely make margaritas for you if you bring da booze. margaritas just seem to go with most "mexican" food, both from a flavor perspective and because they're both so darned festive.

you might want to pinpoint what type of food we're talking about though. if it's cheese laden burritos as opposed to grilled meats, the suggestions will be much different.

I'd go with Jaymes' recommendation. Dos Equis, Tecate or a Negro Modelo if you like dark beer. Make sure you got limes to go with em. Corona is just piss.

Margaritas are also a nice option.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Don't know what type of Mexican restaurant this is, or even if they have up there any of the Mexican "meat" restaurants that are so popular in Mexico and in some locations in the U.S. Southwest...

They are "char-grilled meat" places, and what I usually get is the mixed grill - with pork and beef and cabrito and sausage...

It's all cooked on a big grill and seasoned with those wonderful Mexican spices. Served with pico de gallo, and other assorted salsas, and fresh hot tortillas.

Fabulous.

And if it's that kind of place, a red would do nicely.

Although of course, so would a sixpack of one of the good Mex beers mentioned above.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A few thoughts. First, Mexican food is pretty spicy and therefore threatens to overwhelm the wine. So you need a big and bold wine, preferably with complementary spice or contrasting sweetness. So here goes:

1. A big California zin. Generally faulted for overpowering food, zin would be a good match I think and is clearly my top choice here.

2. Amarone. Also big and the famous sweetness of the wine would contrast nicely.

3. Australian Semillion. Bigger than the Loire wines, but a lot of the same acidity to go with the sweetness of the wine. Stands up well to big flavors.

4. German Riesling. I would be bold and get an Auslese bottling. A lot of sweetness goes a long way here.

when in mexico i drink negro modelo-- in terms of authenticity, stick with the beers. i like negro modelo better than dos equis, and bohemia a close third. carta blanca, superior will do, too.

jason, corona is NOT piss. lots of people say this, but personally i like a really well-iced corona with lime in the high heat of summer. let me put it this way: i'm always grateful to see corona at gatherings where the other choices are milwaukee's beast in a can, or bud long necks, etc. :raz:

jason, corona is NOT piss.  lots of people say this, but personally i like a  really well-iced corona with lime in the high heat of summer.  let me put it this way: i'm always grateful to see corona at gatherings where the other choices are milwaukee's beast in a can, or bud long necks, etc. :raz:

good point. but i like bud long necks. a lot. :unsure:

okay, if the choices were 1] milwaukee's beast in a can and 2] bud long necks i'd choose................c] gin and tonic [based on local availability]. but not with mexican food.

oh, and another suggestion is a margarita made with mezcal, for a smoky flavor--sometimes margaritas can be too sweet and cloying, but tart and smoky margaritas go well with mexican food.

Edited by stellabella (log)

If the drinking choice had to be wine, I might choose a new Beaujolais: not pricey, unsubtle, bright, plenty of fruit, more or less able to stand up to the spicing in the food.

Someone was pouring the nouveau Duboeuf at a gathering I attended while I was in Maine during Thanksgiving weekend. All the adjectives above applied.

Gotta confess I like Margaritas better with Mexican, though.

:blink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

If the drinking choice had to be wine, I might choose a new Beaujolais:  not pricey, unsubtle, bright, plenty of fruit, more or less able to stand up to the spicing in the food.

Someone was pouring the nouveau Duboeuf at a gathering I attended while I was in Maine during Thanksgiving weekend.  All the adjectives above applied.

Gotta confess I like Margaritas better with Mexican, though.

:blink:

People who know how can make some really good wine margaritas. I don't have a clue as to how they do it, but it works.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.