• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure Cookers – what's cooking?

Kerry Beal

I set up an outdoor kitchen on our patio this week and have been doing all of the cooking, except for veggies in the microwave, out there to keep from adding heat to this already very hot house. It is 91 degrees in the family room where I am typing this. I did the beans on the patio.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

re: beans. Certain beans I think are better in a pressure cooker - e.g. chickpeas. There's a level of creaminess that I'm not sure can be attained by any other method.

However (even though I do use the Russ Parsons non-soak method sometimes), I think you should always soak beans before pressure-cooking them. Add a tablespoon of oil to the water before closing the PC. Cooking time is then 7-9 minutes depending on the bean, followed by slow release.

I have modified my pressure cooker to go higher pressure and temperature. 

At higher temperature, even bones get soft enough to chew on.

I can't give details on the modification. I don't want anyone else try to do the same.

Rice get to be pastey and gluey at high temperature.

Works great for beans.

dcarch

I have modified my pressure cooker to go higher pressure and temperature. 

At higher temperature, even bones get soft enough to chew on.

I can't give details on the modification. I don't want anyone else try to do the same.

Rice get to be pastey and gluey at high temperature.

Works great for beans.

dcarch

Sounds like you can make some tasty items but I'm certainly not sure about the safety aspect!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I've been doiing a bunch of different things since I started using a pressure cooker at the beginning of the year. I posted a recipe for lamb shanks the other day because I thought the sauce was unique enough deserve passing on. I love how you can blast out veggies in 5 to 10 minutes. This means I use it for mashpotatoes every time I cook them. In 7 minutes brocolli is perfect for brocolli pesto where before it took almost an hour in a sauce pan and the results where not as good. Of the three major cookware purchases I made at about the same time (a Vitamix blender, a Dutch Oven and the Kuhn Rikon) the pressure cooker is by far the one that gets the most use.

• Like 1

Tonight I steamed my red potatoes five minutes in the Fissler.  I love my pressure cookers.  (Except for the Cuisinart because they don't sell replacement parts.)

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried cooking barley in a PC? Comments on how it turned out?

I've boiled it, risottoed it and steamed it. Barley still keeps its toothsome qualities even when you add pressure.

I've only used the perlated barley 1:2 liquid ratio for 18 minutes stovetop or 20 minutes electric and open with natural release.

Ciao,

L

• Like 1

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

• 6 months later...

This is the essence of 6 chicken carcasses and leg bones that I roasted first.

Added the juice from the roasting pan but not the coagulated proteins.

No water added. 90 minutes high pressure natural release.

I4P1Y6N.png

• Like 5