• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vom Fass?

abadoozy

Stumbled into a Vom Fass the other day while on a weekend getaway - there's only 5 in the US, but apparently are ubiquitous in Europe.

Their schtick is that they have a number of high-quality items such as oils, vinegars, liqueurs, and Scotches, that they sell in whatever quantity you want from casks in the store. You can sample everything before buying, and (in the case of oils and vinegars) they'll mix them if there's a combination you especially like. My first thought was that it sounded like a faddish store that you'd find in upscale malls, but then my husband found the wall of Scotches and was hooked. They were all high-quality single malt Scotches, available for sampling, and you could buy them in whatever quantities you like. He ended up with a couple half bottles of Scotches he'd been wanting to try, but didn't want to invest in an entire bottle.

Price-wise, not discount, but not crazy expensive, either. You have to buy bottles there, or bring in your own. The bottle selection they have range from cheap & utilitarian to really nice bottles you could use for display or gifts. The oils and vinegars that I tasted seemed high quality - the fruit vinegars, for example, were mostly made from fruit, not low-quality vinegar mixed with fruit flavors or something. I was also very pleased with the quality of the nut oils - I found some pumpkin seed oil, something you don't see everyday and is going to find its way onto more than a few salads around here.

I've never heard of the store before, and was wondering if anyone else had any comments/opinions on it.

I'm still convinced it must be a front for some sort of money laundering operation - just seems like a bizarre concept for a chain.

On saying that, I think the same about Tchibo. A shop selling coffee, but also selling a random selection of tat that changes every week. I'd have loved to be in that sales pitch.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Have visited the local (NOLA) vom fass several times. wasn't super impressed with the myriad fruit vinegars or spirits, but i did like the opportunity to purchase small amounts of unusual oils....pistachio, almond, argan, hazelnut, etc. (small quantities, esp nut oils, won't go rancid before I figure out how to use them all up.)

This looks great to me! If Vom Fass needs a German foodie with a marketing degree to run a store in Walnut Creek (high income area I'd say, with Neiman Marcus moving in across from Tiffany's and the Apple store, give me a call! Can I add pickles as well?

I could never run a shoe store or carpet store but this I really could get behind! I love every thing they seem to be selling :raz:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

This looks great to me! If Vom Fass needs a German foodie with a marketing degree to run a store in Walnut Creek (high income area I'd say, with Neiman Marcus moving in across from Tiffany's and the Apple store, give me a call! Can I add pickles as well?

The one I was in had brochures out talking about franchise offerings. I think they're actively trying to expand in the US. If you're serious, give 'em a call!