• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Genkinaonna (2011) - Carts, Cakes, and Coffee in and arou

Looking good, Genkinaonna! As you know, I travel to Portland at least once a year, and just love it. I'll be following avidly.

Let's get down to brass tacks: what's your coffee of choice? I fall in love each visit with Stumptown, and spent every morning atthe Fresh Pot I discovered downtown. Yum.

Oh, and any chance you'll be hitting the numerous, excellent cocktail spots?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

What a pleasure Genkinaonna, every post a delight,

Thank you.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I'm posting a little bit out of order, after we went to the farmers market, we headed to Powell's, which I posted earlier. Attached to Powell's is another store I'm inordinately fond of, called Pastaworks.

Doesn't the front just make you want to dive right in and start consuming? Yeah, thought so.

pw exterior.jpg

Here's the whole store overview, pardon my lack of photography ability, which you've probably picked up on by now...

IMG_0212.JPG

And the dry goods aisle:

pw drygoods.JPG

Lots of interesting grains, lentils, etc...made me want to make some kind of rustic peasanty-type dish. And since our week of 70 degree weather is apparently over, that might work.

Here's about half of the produce. They also had big bags of stinging nettles, which I almost bought, although I have no idea what to do with them. I tend to buy interesting produce and let it languish in the fridge, slowly turning to mush, so I showed some self restraint today. Aren't you proud of me? :laugh:

pw veg.JPG

I didn't even want to know how much the fiddleheads cost, but they were gorgeous. I then made my way to the meat counter, which had a lovely assortment of local meats, including a whole case of salumie and other charcuterie. Mmmm...meaty! I bought the coppa pork roast I mentioned earlier.

pw meat.jpg pw charcuterie.JPG

Here's the pastry case, but I didn't buy anything since I plan on baking something myself a little later tonight.

pw desserts.jpg

And my favorite, the cheese case. We bought the cheese they were sampling, which was a super creamy, sharp fontina type cheese called Crucolo. I'm thinking that may also play a part in the aforementioned Modernist Mac later in the week. Or maybe I'll just eat it for breakfast!

pw cheese.JPG

I also bought some gorgeous foccacia bread, all olive oil-y and delicious. I can never get mine to turn out, so I leave it to the pros.

IMG_0240.JPG

Pastaworks has another store closer to my house, but it's also by a couple of my favorite restaurants, so I usually get sidetracked and am too full to go in after I eat!

OMG that store looks like heaven to me. I could live in there.

I like how you write....the gr"assfed" beef made me laugh out loud. :laugh:

So if you've been avidly following this blog, hanging on my every word, breakfast is going to amaze and delight you. Here it is, drumroll please....

32350733-7c20-9b42.jpg

Tah dah! It's that oldie but goodie, Cream of Wheat! Now, new and improved with the power of dark muscovado sugar and a big ol' slog of whole milk. Trust me, it tastes better than it looks...

Also on the menu, Tillamook vanilla bean yogurt and (hangs head in shame) half of a leftover iced Charbucks coffee from yesterday. But it was ready, required no preparation, and most importantly, possesses the requisite caffeine needed to wrangle the anklebiters, er, my darling children all day. Next up, the highly anticipated kitchen shots. But first offspring #3 has a date with his crib...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Okay then, on to the kitchen shots. I think I may have mentioned earlier that nothing lights a fire under your butt to get your kitchen organized like sharing it with the world...I assure you, this is the most organized my kitchen has EVER been. Generally cleaning the kitchen is something my Dad does, which I deeply appreciate, but since I'm the one who cooks and buys the food, I pretty much determine where everything goes. Here's the layout:

32350733-9367-d07b.jpg

To the right where you can't see it is the fridge and coffee/breakfast counter. We had the house built in 2003, so everything is pretty new, but because it was in a subdivision, we were pretty limited in our choices. For example, I would have much preferred more drawers and less cabinets, but I make it work. Here's my primary workstation:

32350733-945b-581f.jpg

It faces out into the dining room so I can see the kids playing or, in Gio's case, so I can tell him to stop shmearing pesto in his hair and just eat his damn food already...

The appliances I use the most are on the shelf next to my workstation. I just moved my kitchenaid to make room for the SVS and I think it works much better on the lower shelf. It's a lot easier to see in the bowl and scrape it down.

32350733-94cc-a624.jpg

Other big appliances go opposite the half wall between the kitchen and dining room...my Vitamix, vacuum sealer, and slow cooker. The ones I never use go in the dining room on the upper shelves.

32350733-9623-f7e8.jpg

On the other counter is all the coffee stuff, plus the toaster oven that I loathe and avoid using at any cost.

32350733-9864-7fe8.jpg

Hmmm...I think that might be my worst picture yet.

Next, we'll look inside the cabinets, and the fridge, if you dare...

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

Thanks for sharing your cooking week with us, Genkinaonna! I'll be taking my first trip to Portland later this summer - and very excited to do so - so I'll be following along with great interest!

I love bubble tea, but my partner can't stand it. We're both looking forward to visiting Powell's, though!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Now onto my cabinets. I just reorganized, I tend to enjoy buying interesting food stuff, and it was getting hard to keep track of everything. I'll start with the pantry and work my way around the room.

Thanks for sharing your cooking week with us, Genkinaonna! I'll be taking my first trip to Portland later this summer - and very excited to do so - so I'll be following along with great interest!

I love bubble tea, but my partner can't stand it. We're both looking forward to visiting Powell's, though!

Ed and I have never had bubble tea. I've seen recipes for it...but then I wouldn't know what it is supposed to taste like anyhow. Can you purchase a glass of mediocre or poor bubble tea?

I'm sure we could get it in Toronto.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here's the pantry.

pantry.jpg

I have wine at the top, mostly red and some dessert wines, I'm not a wine person by any stretch of the imagination, but I do enjoy a glass now and again. Oregon has some amazing wineries, which you'll see more of on Saturday. I also have a big basket of tea up there. I love tea, mostly black, but I've been drinking quite a bit of white tea lately as well. It feels more virtuous than coffee, since I don't add sugar or milk to my tea, and coffee gets lots of sugar and creamer. The next shelf down is pasta, mostly. I didn't realize how much we had until I reorganized the shelves. There's also a bowl with shallots, onions, and garlic, plus some oil and a bin of beans/grains.

pantry upper.jpg

The next shelf down is canned goods and prepared stuff on the left, and baking/dessert type stuff on the right. Below that is cereal and bread.

pantry middle.jpg

The bottom shelf has Gio's food and snacks in the lego bin, treats and snacks for the girls in the middle, and various kinds of rice in the basket on the right. On the floor we've got pretzels, disposable coffee cups, and some other misc big things.

pantry bottom.jpg.

The next cabinet over is liquor at the top, we don't drink a ton but I do use alcohol a lot in my baking, measuring cups in the middle, and coffee and tea accessories and syrups on the bottom shelf.

coffee cabinet.jpg

On the other side of the sink is my baking cabinet. The top shelf is gelatin, flavor compounds, and cookie cutters. The middle shelf is nuts on the right, chocolate on the left, and vanilla beans at the far right. The bottom shelf is extracts and flavors on the spinner and my pastry tips and some of my gum paste tools on the right.

baking cab.jpg

On the next wall, the cabinet has canning stuff at the top, measuring cups and the large boxes of salt in the middle, and the specialty salts and honey at the bottom.

salt cab.jpg

The final cabinet is for my cake deco tools and materials. The top shelf is chocolate and fondant molds and food coloring/luster dust. The middle is cupcake papers and gumpaste (hence the label saying "gumpaste") and the bottom shelf is sprinkles and dragees.

deco cab.jpg

I recently made room for the deco cabinet by putting all my spices on a ginormous spice rack in the pantry. I have the spices organized by savory, baking, chilis, large bags at the bottom, and vinegar on the second to last shelf because that's where it fit! Here's the top:

spices upper.jpg

And the bottom:

spice lower.jpg

Just looking at how neat and pretty the spices look all lined up makes me smile!

Chris- I'm open to going to some kind of interesting cocktail place. Is there one in particular you'd like to see?

Darienne-I've not had a lot of luck making bubble tea at home, I'm sure you could get it in Toronto. It's definitely possible to get bad bubble tea, if the bubbles aren't cooked enough they're too hard in the middle, and if they're cooked too much they turn to sticky mush (appealing, huh?) so it's a fine line. You want them to be springy, but not rubbery. And the tea/juice needs to taste good too. It depends on what kind of powders they're using, and what kind of tea.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words! It's nice to know you're finding my blog interesting. :wub:

If anyone has a particular thing they'd like to see, please let me know!

It all looks great! It reminds me of having the in-laws for a visit...which we are this week...gets one to do a great clean-up and fix-up job. ...not that I am suggesting that your cupboards don't always look this great! :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm going to take a little break to eat lunch. It is half of the meatball sandwich I didn't post from lunch yesterday...but I assure you it was tasty. Here's what it looked like at the restaurant. If you squint, you can see it in the fridge pic I'll be posting soon too!

mb sw.jpg

It's from Bugatti's, which is one of my favorite restaurants. They have killer calamari and focaccia bread with garlic olive oil too. There's some advertising, guys, feel free to give me some gratis meals!

Well, you've certainly hit the good spots so far! Pastaworks is full of incredibly tasty stuff, and I miss it.

New Seasons Market is one of the local area chain supermarkets that is very good - kind of between Whole Foods and Safeway in price, but their deli, bakery, meat, and fish departments are always of excellent quality.

Out Beaverton way, Uwajimaya is great for all of your Asian food needs.

Olympic Provisions is tucked away off of MLK, but well worth the trip.

Penzeys Spices will make you fall in love with cooking all over again.

Townsend Tea has teas made right (including bubble tea). It's great for some quiet time with a book.

Ponderosa Meats in Aloha has great cuts of beef, bison, thick-cut bacon, etc.

If you make it all the way out to Hillsboro, there's a great taco truck usually right near the Baskin Robbins, called Mely's Tacos. SOooo good. Up the street is Pho Viet, which makes a heart-wrenchingly good bowl of pho.

Allrighty, I'm back and now that I'm not famished I can focus fully on the task at hand. Here's the fridge:

fridge.jpg

And the freezer:

freezer.jpg

I'll admit I'm not as good at utilising what I throw in there as I should be. It's basically where food goes to die. I'm hoping to get better about this since I have a new vacuum sealer. The things that we actually USE from the freezer are the frozen pretzels (my husband's a junkie for them) the frozen peas (Gio's favorite snack veggie) and the frozen blueberries (my daughters' favorite means to destroy their clothes) along with the yeast, nuts, and ice cream. Everything else pretty much languishes until I guiltily throw it away...I seriously need to participate in one of the eGullet freezer cleanouts sometime soon!

Next up, cookbooks. Stay tuned!

Lilith-It's like you were walking around in my head! I had Uwajimaya and New Seasons planned for this afternoon. They just opened a new Penzeys not far from my house, and since it's a Wisconsin company, and I'm still a Wisconsin girl at heart, it's nice to see them here. I actually live in Beaverton, so I've been to most of those places. I'll have to check out the taco truck, I usually go to Ely's on the corner of 185th and TV Hwy...there's also a new place that does amazing pollo asado about 5 min from my house. I'll have to look up Townsend Tea too, although with the kids bouncing around, quiet times are few and far between. I do love to read though, maybe I can convince my husband to wrangle the kids so I can check it out, purely for research purposes, of course! :wink:

And another family cooking skills update: I have been instructed to tell the kind folks reading this that my mother is in fact a perfectly competent cook. She just does not enjoy it and chooses not to indulge in said activity. Let's see who else in my family I can annoy by week's end... :laugh:

I have a few family members in Murrayhill. They're the ones who introduced me to Annie' Donuts, and also to some Chinese restaurant in PDX that has very good salted pepper squid. Generally, though, they're not fond of Chinese in PDX. Nowhere near as good as YVR or even YWG Chinese, they say.

Chris- I'm open to going to some kind of interesting cocktail place. Is there one in particular you'd like to see?

Well, I've been to most of the PDX cocktail hot spots, but I think our members would enjoy a twofer at Clyde Common when Jeffrey Morgenthaler is on hand and Teardrop Lounge when Daniel Shoemaker is shaking up stuff. Then there's Blair Reynolds, aka Trader Tiki, at Thatch; then there's David Shenaut, reigning supreme at Beaker & Flask. Then...

You get the idea. You live in a cocktail mecca.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I also think it would be fun to read about visits to a cocktail spot or two! :smile:

I'm curious about the spice storage that you have on the inside of your pantry door - was that shelving put in by the builder or by you? Can you tell us anything more about it - who sells it, cost, ease of installation?

Do you do any veggie gardening? Any fruit trees in your yard?

Looking forward to a visit to the winemakers! (I think you mentioned one might be in store?).

Looking forward to the rest of your blog!

Next up, a trip to one of the panaderias/pastelerias dotting the area. This one's called Espiga Dorada. It's about 5 minutes from my house. They have mexican pastries, churros, galetas, etc...a pretty big selection. Some is in bakery cases and some is on rolling racks. It works like this: there's a stack of half sheet pans and tongs next to the bakery case. You take one of each and pick out the pastries you want, then take them to the front register and they are individually wrapped and bagged. They vary in price from 75 cents to 2.00 per pastry. We got a napoleon type pastry, custard and pineapple filled empanadas, a custard filled bread horn, two caramel filled churros,a cheesecake slice, a bread pudding slice, and a puff pastry type thing filled with custard called a taco. Our total cost was $9.00 including $1.00 for three cones of piloncillo. Here are the cases:

32350733-17db-6cf4.jpg

32350733-17f9-b4ba.jpg

32350733-1819-c680.jpg

They also had some Mexican candies, pinatas, and some general grocery items.

32350733-1876-945f.jpg

32350733-1895-f906.jpg

32350733-18b5-3a2f.jpg

The last picture was about half of the shelf of hot sauces, they had about 10 different ones to pick from.

The woman working there was really nice about explaining what everything was. A lot of the buns weren't filled but they were covered in sugar, I bet they'd be great with hot chocolate.

After Espiga Dorada, we moseyed across the street to another store called Frutas y Verduras el Campesino. This is a place I go on a regular basis for chiles of all types. They have half an aisle, four shelves high, with about 50 different kinds of dried chiles. The other half of the aisle is all the different spices and nuts you'd use in moles of all sorts. It's pretty cool. Here's the chile end of the aisle:

chile aisle.jpg

And the spice/nut end of the aisle:

spice aisle.jpg

They also have an entire aisle of Mexican candy. It was difficult to explain to the girls that most of the candy has chile in it and would definitely be too spicy for them!

mex candy.jpg

Two cases of fresh cheeses, and homemade sour cream made me contemplate doing some ersatz mexican later in the week, but I think I'm already overbooked as it is, so I held myself back.

mex dairy.jpg

Ironically the one thing I wouldn't really buy there would be fruit or vegetables, since that's supposed to be what they focus on. Everything kind of looks like it's on it's last legs, some of it is moldy in almost every bin.

For dinner tonight, my Dad requested roast chicken and potatoes. It's kind of funny, I have no issues with making wedding cakes, chocolate showpieces, PITA fiddly stuff, but the idea of roasting a whole beast fills me with fear and dread. So instead of confronting the issue head on, I opted to use his suggestion as a jumping off point, and made cheese and spinach stuffed chicken breasts instead. For sides, we had carrots and mashed potatoes, with corn that Dad grilled (while pointing out to me that he could, in fact, cook, so make a note of it...). Here's the carrots being prepped, sometimes the kids will do better with veggies if I cut them in novel shapes, so I thought triangles might be the way to go:

carrot chop.jpg

And then into the sous vide bag with butter, salt, and pepper. I cooked them at 185 degrees for an hour and a half and then chilled them down until the chicken was almost done, when I tossed them back in the SVS with the chicken to reheat.

sous vide carrots.jpg

The chicken got filled with this:

spinach filling.jpg

About half a 16 oz bag of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, mixed with sauteed shallot, two smashed garlic cloves, salt and pepper. I also added a strip of the cheese I got at Pastaworks yesterday. The chicken breasts themselves were pounded flat, filled with the spinach and cheese, and rolled up, with the ends tied off with butcher's twine. Then vacc'ed and into the SVS for about 2 hours at 140 degrees. Here's the chicken before it's bath:

chicken.jpg

For the mashed potatoes, I use the microwave and a food mill. Doesn't require peeling, from spud to table in 20 min or so. I poked holes in the potatoes (learned THAT lesson the hard way, let me tell you...) popped them in the microwave for 6 min, flipped 'em, another 6 min, and in this case, flipped them again and gave them another three minutes. Sometimes they're done in the first 12 minutes, sometimes they need up to 15 minutes or so, depends on the size of the spud in question. While they were cooking, I put half a stick of butter, about half a cup of heavy cream, and a big pinch of salt in the bottom of a serving bowl. Then I put the food mill over the bowl, cut the cooked potatoes into halves and fed them through. Once all the potatoes were through, a quick stir and done. Here's the meal all put together:

meal.jpg

I think next time I'll tweak the seasoning on the chicken a little, but other than that, a satisfactory meal all around.

I just realized I haven't posted pics of my cookbooks yet. So here they are. I tried to go shelf by shelf so you could actually see the titles. I have one big 5 shelf bookcase with baking and pastry books, and two smaller bookcases with savory cookbooks. I'll start with the dessert stuff first. Shelf one is actually NOT baking books, it's food-related fiction and reference. It's where I had room. So sue me!

baking 1.jpg

Next shelf down is regional baking and my culinary manuals, my one specifically bread focused book, plus cookies and cake pops (I have three cake pop books, one is on loan to a friend and Mina had the other one in the playroom...) and jam/jelly/preserving books.

baking 2.jpg

Shelf three is general baking books, including my signed copy of Baking From My Home to Yours. Yes, I still use it, it's beat to hell. Shows I love it!

baking 3.jpg

Fourth shelf is plated desserts, cakes, cupcakes, and cake decorating books. Mmmm...Johnny Iuzzini...nothin' more attractive than a tattooed man who can bake...

baking 4.jpg

Fifth shelf is professional books, good for larger scale recipes as well as reference. I use the Alain Ducasse book for inspiration all the time, it's just so darn pretty!

baking 5.jpg

Can you tell my mom is a reference librarian? Yeah, it's pretty obvious...

And now my savory cookbooks. They're not organized as neatly as the baking books are, mainly because I did a quick once through the house and collected them from all over to put them back on the shelf. That and Gio likes to pull them off and sit on them. Here's one shelf:

cookbooks 1.jpg

And the other:

books 2.jpg

Yes, I have Rachel Ray books. I'm not ashamed of it. At least she cooks with real ingredients, rather than mixes (I'm lookin' at you, Ms. Lee...) although I'd have no desire to run across her in real life. I don't watch any of her shows, I find her whole demeanor and way of speaking to be super annoying. But some of her recipes are pretty decent.

FauxPas-Gardening is unfortunately NOT a strong suit of mine. As a matter of fact, I have the dubious honor of saying I killed mint, and everyone knows that's damn near impossible. Our back, or should I say, side yard, is teeny tiny, the houses in our subdivision are packed in like sardines. We have a strip about 18" wide and about 4 feet long that gets any sort of sunlight, the rest is shaded by the neighbor's house. I did plant some chives this year, that's the one thing I can't seem to kill, and I use them quite a bit when I cook. There's also some sunflowers in pots, but nothing else edible. I'm contemplating planting some potatoes in garbage bags, that's supposed to be pretty low maintenance. But I might wait until next year. At least we're within about 10 minutes from quite a few U-pick farms, so we do pick quite a bit of fruit through the summer, which I use to make jam. As for the spice rack, it's actually Elfa, from the Container store. The track mounts to the backside of any door, and then you just mount whichever shelving baskets on it that are appropriate for your space. It was about $130 total and it took about 10 minutes to install. There's no drilling or anything, the only tool that you really need is a level, if I remember correctly. I happened to come across one on the internet somewhere, and I went out that night and bought it. I can't say enough good stuff about it, I want to get more for the back of the other closet doors!

I'm going to bake something now...I promised I'd bring treats to my business class tomorrow morning. I'll post more when I'm done.