• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chioggia Beets

Shel_B

Do you like beets? These are incredible! We had some yesterday, sliced raw, and were astounded by their flavor and sweetness. Even if you don't like beets, you might want to taste them because they are unlike any other beet we've ever tried.

http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/healthy/healthy-energy-foods-00400000061175/page7.html

... Shel

We have been enjoying these beets for some years now, ever since we were introduced to them by a local organic place. Haven't tried them raw, though. Just got back from Jean Talon Market in Montreal where we picked up chiogga beets and also some yellow ones. If you haven't tried yellow ones, you should - along with the white and orange ones. They are very sweet, and not as "earthy" tasting as the red ones.

Honestly, having grown and eaten both, I prefer the golden beets to the Chiogga ones. I also found what Matthew did, that cooked they tended to just bleed into pink. And to my taste the golden ones are sweeeter....

I can never decide which I like better so we grow both Chioggia and Golden. I find them both equally delicious. To my taste white beets are just boring but I have had them only once so I could be mistaken.

We grow these on the allotment but they are not entirely happy with the english climate and can fail. Not quite as tasty as stalwarts such as Boltardy or Action, the visual appeal makes up for it. Best eaten as a mix on the plate ideally with goats cheese, walnuts and a simple green salad.

s