• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauce and Cooking Techniques for Chicken Feet

Shel_B

The GF and I are going to Dim Sum tomorrow, and in the course of talking about it she mentioned that she loves chicken feet and the sauce that they often come with. I'd like to try making them for her as I can easily get the feet and any ingredients, and it would be neat to try making something so different. So, any suggestions on how to cook the feet and ideas for a sauce? Thanks!

... Shel

Cleaned, deep-fried, then slow braise with fermented black beans, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and chopped chilis. Or use a "master sauce" - lo sui.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 3 years later...

Hello- Every recipe I find, requires the feet to be deep-fried. I understand why this is necessary, but I do not have a deep fryer.  Must I buy one just for this? Or, is there another way?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I"ve never seen a deep-fryer in China. We deep fry in our woks. So do restaurants.

liuzhou-Interesting! How would you braise, or slow-cook?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

liuzhou-Interesting! How would you braise, or slow-cook?

Braising is also done in the wok, or in clay pots, stove top. It isn't that common a technique in China, although there are some dishes. Slow cooking is not a Chinese tradition.

I do have a toaster oven which I sometimes use for braising/slow cooking, but I don't know anyone else who has one.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Braising is also done in the wok, or in clay pots, stove top. It isn't that common a technique in China, although there are some dishes. Slow cooking is not a Chinese tradition.

I do have a toaster oven which I sometimes use for braising/slow cooking, but I don't know anyone else who has one.

liuzhou- I guess it comes down to these two questions: 1)Would you braise chicken feet/phoenix claws?

2) If so, how?

liuzhou- I guess it comes down to these two questions: 1)Would you braise chicken feet/phoenix claws?

2) If so, how?

No, I would do what most people here do and buy them pre-prepared. Almost every supermarket and general market has them. They don't seem to be something people make at home. Some places sell the uncooked feet. I only buy those for stock making. None of my friends or acquaintances prepares them at home, so far as I know. It is cheaper and more convenient to buy them pre-prepared.

cf.jpg

Chicken feet in my local supermarket

df.jpg

Duck feet.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto