• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst cooking show ever

lancastermike

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Makes me wonder what kind of mental/self-worth issues these kids may have when they get older after being "chopped" on a televised cooking show? Can't be enriching or good!

I wasn't thinking anything along those lines. However, if enriching or good requires "everybody is a winner", I'm not a fan of that philosophy. Every person needs to know how to lose and know that it's not that bad. It only hurts for a bit if you have the tools to deal with it.

58 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Gotta say - the couple I've caught - the kids handle losing a whole lot better than the adults!

True, and coping with losing is an important life skill that many are no longer learning. I wasn't thinking of any kind of potential harm to the kids doing those competitions, I just don't enjoy the shows that much. But to be honest, I'm not a fan of very many of the adult food competition shows either.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

14 hours ago, Yiannos said:

I agree about the kids shows, very exploitative if you ask me. So many young tears shed and hopes crushed in the name of advertising and entertainment...

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

the parents of the kids should have their head's examined.

None of that has anything to do with why I posted it so nobody is actually agreeing with me. It doesn't bother me at all that some of the kids have to lose and be eliminated. If you go into any type of competition, cooking, sports, whatever, unable to accept and deal with the possibility that you might not win... well, life teaches tough lessons sometimes and losing is part of the game.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I keep see promos for something like 'worst chefs, celebrity edition'.  Haven't actually seen it but it sounds like it'd be a real contender for worst show ever.  Imagine these wanna be 'celebrities' mugging and trying so hard to be worst.  Arghhh!

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

None of that has anything to do with why I posted it so nobody is actually agreeing with me. It doesn't bother me at all that some of the kids have to lose and be eliminated. If you go into any type of competition, cooking, sports, whatever, unable to accept and deal with the possibility that you might not win... well, life teaches tough lessons sometimes and losing is part of the game.

I have no problem with the winning/losing aspect of competitions. My children play sports and understand pretty well that sometimes in life it feels like you spend a lot of time losing in the name of winning. My problem is with letting this all play out on a national (arguably international) stage in the name of keeping a flailing conglomerate like Food Network alive. I was flipping through the channels the other day and there was a kids episode of Beat Bobby Flay on. After the competition was over, three child "judges" came out and gave their critiques of the food. They spoke almost identically to the food critics and restaurateurs they have on these shows every single day, like they had been placed in front of a set and forced to absorb the mannerisms and lingo. Again competition is fine in life, necessary I think sometimes even. But when I see a kid bawl their eyes out on national television, telling the world about how they don't think they will ever be a good cook, followed by a commercial for Sargento cheese and Ritz crackers, I have to wonder who is really winning and who is really losing in all of this...

Edit: I guess I should say too that I wasn't responding to you directly above, just to the grumbling about these exploitative shows in general...

Edited by Yiannos (log)

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2012 at 3:02 PM, Jaymes said:

[...] the Two Fat Ladies. What a giggle they are!

Yeah! I still watch the shows now and again.

I would have loved to have met them both, but especially Jennifer — I bet she would have been fun to party with! xD

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I love those ladies.  It wasn't until we got the shows via Netflix that I really understood the term 'Binge Watching."  What a hoot they were and what a crying shame the food networks can't produce anything like them.   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After compulsively hate watching the new American My Kitchen Rules, I can't believe what a farce the entire competition was. It surely must hold the record for the person most aggressively uninterested and uneducated about food to ever win a competitive cooking show.

PS: I am a guy.

• 9 months later...
Just now, gfweb said:

What'll be interesting eventually, after the revelations are over, is who among the celeb chefs turns out to be a decent human being.

I'm betting on Emerill.

Not Emeril, he doesnt wanna pay health insurance etc.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

8 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Apparently FN was bringing back Molto Mario with new shows....

I dont even watch the FN or CC anymore. Too much schtick. Im even unsubbing from a few YouTube cooks who I used to HATE WATCH.

I just cant take anymore schtick or BS. I was telling my Online BFF that I finally unsubbed an Indian Cook who used Ajwan Seeds and oregano in her nacho tortilla chips and another who keeps stirfrying with a brownie serving spatula (lets not get into her adding the baking powder to the wet ingredients which makes her cakes flat.)

I have a low tolerance these days.

ETA: #FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)
  • Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

A) I missed todays news   re Chefs

I was traveling to pick up a new Espresso machine 

because Im weak.

@gfweb

"a decent human being"

such a complicated term

If we are talking non - #)$(R^#()$^  grabbing  

then its CK

CK just might or might not Lust for Money.

• Like 1

True @rotuts. Common decency isn't so common and is a complex issue in any event.

But, yes, I was mainly thinking about sexual issues. 

Sadly, being a POS is "standard" behavior in some businesses and it isn't limited to those in powerful positions (though that is all the worse).

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 8:20 AM, gfweb said:

What'll be interesting eventually, after the revelations are over, is who among the celeb chefs turns out to be a decent human being.

I'm betting on Emerill.

I found out, by reading From Scratch,  that iron chef Michiba  assaulted female FN staffers during a US visit thus leading to the Japanese iron chefs as a group not being asked back to do any more shows.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)

9 hours ago, IndyRob said:

Surely, all this stuff is not on topic.  It's about bad shows.  Not bad people.

I started it up cause of the screen shot of Giada giggly and kneeling at Batalis feet on the Chew, I posted awhile ago. It was bizarre. She was a guest, saw Mario and went over and dropped to her knees in front of him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

So after a fashion, I suppose it's come full circle. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning