• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst cooking show ever

lancastermike

33 minutes ago, lindag said:

How kind of you to point out my error,

It wasn't an error -- just not a unique trait.

But I will say the mentions of their land holdings in this thread kinda' paints a picture of people wanting to become landed gentry in America.

7 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

But I will say the mentions of their land holdings in this thread kinda' paints a picture of people wanting to become landed gentry in America.

Oh...goodness....if this is for me, I totally do not want to become a land baron and I give the Drummonds all their props for doing what they do.  My whole point was that I don't think that Ree would be where she is right now without help money-wise---like paying for her site to come up first when searching for certain food recipes. And, one of her recipes totally failed for me so *shrug*.  To each their own :) .

I will bow out of this conversation.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh...goodness....if this is for me...

Not at all.  My comments were in response to her two supporters in this thread who didn't address the quality of the show, but rather her stature in the community.

Honestly, I've never even seen the show beyond pausing while flipping through channels.  Now I'm more curious.  But, IMHO, her supporters really have not done her a favor here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyRob said:

Not at all.  My comments were in response to her two supporters in this thread who didn't address the quality of the show, but rather her stature in the community.

Honestly, I've never even seen the show beyond pausing while flipping through channels.  Now I'm more curious.  But, IMHO, her supporters really have not done her a favor here.

Ok.  I get you now.

I had luck with PW's simple recipes, like her creamed spinach and 7-can soup (you literally open 7 cans and make a soup). But her mushroom tart bags were a fail and reading what she did to beautiful beef tenderloin makes me want to cry.

She's not a chef, she's a cook, not even a good one at that, but she makes no secret of it. I guess she's aimed for the allrecipes crowd, which is annoyingly popular with mainstream America.  She's definitely found her niche at, you guessed it, Walmart. Her logo, products and cookbooks are everywhere. I'm guessing because people buy that crap.

I never watched her show but I would imagine it would be a complete waste of time. I don't think it takes an hour to learn how to make creamed spinach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

I had luck with PW's simple recipes, like her creamed spinach and 7-can soup (you literally open 7 cans and make a soup).

* 7 cans of whatever you want. Don’t drain the cans. Just violently throw them into the pot.
* Some kind of gourmet cheese stirred in at the end. And just a warning: My choice of cheese is a little intimidating in its level of sophistication, so I apologize in advance.

Not.

Wait, what?

1 minute ago, IndyRob said:

* 7 cans of whatever you want. Don’t drain the cans. Just violently throw them into the pot.
* Some kind of gourmet cheese stirred in at the end. And just a warning: My choice of cheese is a little intimidating in its level of sophistication, so I apologize in advance.

Not.

Wait, what?

It's actually tasty, in a low-brow, non-haute, middle-America, kind-of-way.

I made mine with canned tomatoes, black beans, chili seasoning, corn and pumpkin.Then I heavily topped with cheddar cheese. I just had to try it.

It was very.... edible.

12 hours ago, IndyRob said:

That's one way to look at it.  I see it as ranching/farming growing a business.

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oh...goodness....if this is for me, I totally do not want to become a land baron and I give the Drummonds all their props for doing what they do.  My whole point was that I don't think that Ree would be where she is right now without help money-wise---like paying for her site to come up first when searching for certain food recipes. And, one of her recipes totally failed for me so *shrug*.  To each their own :) .

I will bow out of this conversation.  

Shelby, her father was a dr, shes from money all around. And I agree with you. Shes Pia Zadora

• Like 2

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

See I enjoy Guy Fieri cause he showcases interesting food and recipes that spur my creativity.

I like Martha Stewart cause its easy to watch and nothing annoys me. I own none of her books or merch, I just enjoy watching her and I loved her spots on Letterman and Conan (esp when she drank a Colt 45 and Taco Bell Burrito) and love her love of Gangsta Rap.

I am not interested in ppl like Ree or Rachel Ray, how many burgers can one eat? Ill bet neither knows any food history etc.

Ree and Rachel are like Fallon, Martha and Vivian Howard are Letterman

Ree and Rachel exist to feed the average American Family who knows no better. Ive cause Rachel in the past, making false statements about recipes and ingredients.

Im having the same issues with YouTube cooks, recently I unsubed 2 Indian youtube cooks, cause I had had enough of their stupidity and ignorance in cooking. When you are using a spatula in high heat and it is literally BLACK from being burnt in hot oil, you know bad estrogens are seeping out into your food, and the reason your cakes are flat is because you mix the baking powder with the wet ingredients and stir and let sit while you mix the dry and prepare the pan...SMH There is an American Im about to unsub cause she mispronounces things and all her actual cooking is fairly bad, and she is pretty unknowledgable too.

Well Ive said a lot, or too much

You do know there are blogs and web boards dedicated to HATE watching cooking shows right? Its snarktastic fun.

• Like 3

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 1 month later...

I think I am able to separate cooking shows from entertainment nowadays.

here in Australia, just about every "celebrity chef" with their own cooking show is a former MasterChef contestant.  It's abundantly clear that they are just the mouthpiece, because if you watch the credits, there is an impressive team of "recipe consultants", "food dressers" and "food testers".

i had to laugh, because it took me ten minutes to convince my partner that "Mystery Diners" was completely staged.

i also opened a discussion with him about how there is never, ever a disastrous dish, nothing ever tastes anything but amazing, none of the celebrity chefs get flour all over them and the kitchen always miraculously cleans itself.

its fantasy 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 1:39 PM, rotuts said:

"New York police have closed the investigations into Mario Batali"

The New York Police Department has closed its two investigations into sexual misconduct allegations against celebrity chef and restaurateur Mario Batali without filing charges, a law enforcement official told CNN on Tuesday.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver