• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst cooking show ever

lancastermike

One that has been grating on me recently is The Pioneer Woman.  I normally never watch it, but I'm spending way too much time watching television right now as I recover from my broken arm.  Herewith is just one example that came across the television this morning. 

Most stupid quote on a cooking show? This morning, from Ree Drummond the so-named "Pioneer Woman,"..."Whenever I go out of town I make sure the fridge is stocked with food so the people I leave behind don't go hungry......" As if her husband and sons are cave dwellers and could only roast some of the beef they raise on the farm.  Then in the next segment her sons and husband raid the fridge and he makes a caveman-like statement, "let's see what the girls left us to eat."  Poor fellow needs to learn how to get along, maybe boil an egg and make some toast.....

• Like 4

I watched this show once, several years ago. They were making beef tenderloin for their workers. The tenderloins were beautiful, and they had a ton of em. 

They lit a fire of what I assume was mesquite, loaded the tenderloins into roasting pans with whatever they were marinated in. They put that over the fire and essentially boiled them. I couldn't watch any more. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

One that has been grating on me recently is The Pioneer Woman. 

I hate her. I didn't even know she had a TV show. I hate her website. Given the episode you described, I hope I never come across that show by chance. I find her revolting in the same sort of way I always found Paula Deen revolting.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

I hate her. I didn't even know she had a TV show. I hate her website. Given the episode you described, I hope I never come across that show by chance. I find her revolting in the same sort of way I always found Paula Deen revolting.

Good comparison.

Everything about both of them grates on my nerves

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

I watched this show once, several years ago. They were making beef tenderloin for their workers. The tenderloins were beautiful, and they had a ton of em. 

They lit a fire of what I assume was mesquite, loaded the tenderloins into roasting pans with whatever they were marinated in. They put that over the fire and essentially boiled them. I couldn't watch any more. 

The TEA in the Gossip cup is that all her recipes are from old cookbooks and she has no original recipes

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Comercial Shows  

are actively designed for profit.

all of them

so just move on if the the 

for profit theme does not suit you.

there still are a few PBS shows

that are quite good

and indeed there is profit there but as bit more reasonable.

• Like 2

I never thought I'd say there was another TV cook more grating than Rachel Ray. Then I came across another quote from the Pioneer Woman instructing folks with her kitchsy country pone on the finer points of making a Grasshopper Pie.....

"THROW some cookies into the food processor (or a big Ziploc if you just want to CRUSH'EM yourself.)........POUR'EM into a pie pan.....3947ca04fa91b632bd88d50f00a44ed7.jpg

I teach at a kitchen store in Spokane and the students are pretty sophisticated home cooks.  If I ever used that trendy broken type of language they'd shoo me out of the kitchen!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, David Ross said:

I never thought I'd say there was another TV cook more grating than Rachel Ray. Then I came across another quote from the Pioneer Woman instructing folks with her kitchsy country pone on the finer points of making a Grasshopper Pie.....

"THROW some cookies into the food processor (or a big Ziploc if you just want to CRUSH'EM yourself.)........POUR'EM into a pie pan.....3947ca04fa91b632bd88d50f00a44ed7.jpg

Oh I am so with you.  I read her blog years and years ago before she became "famous" and it was mildly entertaining.....then, I followed her recipe to a "T" on how to cook a turkey ...epic fail.  If you do a google and look up the Drummonds in Oklahoma you will see that they own a ton of land (which I say good for them--but she didn't rise to her fame on her cooking alone IMO).

For added irritation you should listen to how she pronounces balsamic as in balsamic vinegar.  Makes me want to throw myself off a building.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spork said:

Iffin your gonna judge a cook on the presumed proper use of the English laquage, I best cut and run now. 

I hope we can agree as to a poser. 

No this is a person graduated from a well respected university (unforfunately mine) - she is just playin an angle

• Like 6

5 hours ago, David Ross said:

I teach at a kitchen store in Spokane and the students are pretty sophisticated home cooks.  If I ever used that trendy broken type of language they'd shoo me out of the kitchen!

I sort of understand where you're coming from, David. I admit to never having watched her TV shows and only reading her blog. I can use perfect English as well, but the country vernacular has a comforting appeal to me. I like to lapse into it under the right circumstances and it always brings me back to my roots. I have to be in the right company, and many times, that company also knows how to construct perfect English as well, but I just have to say that when I meet people who know the alternative dialect and can relax and speak freely in it, there is an instant connection for those of us who have farming or otherwise relatives for which this is the normal way to communicate. I don't look at it as faked, but rather a relaxed and comfortable way to speak and it draws me in. There really are pockets in rural places where this is the only was people talk, still today. Sorry it irritates a lot of folks, but I kind of like it. :) It reminds me of my grandparents.

With the rigid education system we have now, and more and more urbanization, I think these country dialects are on their way out. Most won't miss them at all, but I will. Wrong or right, it just feels like home to me.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

12 hours ago, heidih said:

No this is a person graduated from a well respected university (unforfunately mine) - she is just playin an angle

English, reading and spelling were my best subjects in school. Ive written 2 books and know correct terms, but I also love colloquialisms and vernacular. Im from Philly, we use a lot of different expressions. So....*shrug*

My issue with Ree, is she is another illuminati tool. Just another tool for the big food companies to use to sell crap, rather than educate people about food -- like Vivian Howard.

The Food Network has become a front for Hersheys, Ball Park and Heinz etc.

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)
  • Like 5

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Gimme a David Rosengarten, Sarah Moulton (who learned at the hands of the master), Ming, any day. And obviously Jacques and Julia. Funny how they could cook without tattoos.

I stopped watching Food network a very long time ago.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

24 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Gimme a David Rosengarten, Sarah Moulton (who learned at the hands of the master), Ming, any day. And obviously Jacques and Julia. Funny how they could cook without tattoos.

I stopped watching Food network a very long time ago.

Why the hate towards Tattoos?

I cannot stomach Sarah or Ming. He bores me and her quick on and off smile is super annoying.

But give me Vivian Howard and Ill watch all day. Or Biba or Daisy Martinez. There is an older Indian female who consistantly

burns her Tadkas that drives me nuts too.

I guess Im just like Jerry Seinfeld. He says he wakes up irritated.

#firstworldproblems

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Because once cooks started to think they were rock stars, they got way too inked. They're not rock stars; they're fucking cooks.

Whether or not you can stomach Sarah or Ming isn't the point; they knew how to cook, and weren't involved in food fights.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I am an unabashed fan of The Pioneer Woman, as I have said before here when the subject came up (I belive it was in another thread).

I watch all her shows and I've cooked a number of her recipes, all of which were successful.

Her husband's family goes back several generations and they have acquired property for many years.

I love what the Drummonds are doing for their small town, building new businesses and giving people jobs.

They are involved with their schools, the businesses and their church.

They seem to me to be a very nice family...and if I were going to throw sh*t on people, it certainly wouldn't be them, there are millions of far better targets, just watch the news.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Because once cooks started to think they were rock stars, they got way too inked. They're not rock stars; they're fucking cooks.

Whether or not you can stomach Sarah or Ming isn't the point; they knew how to cook, and weren't involved in food fights.

But Sarah called the Thanksgiving protein TURKEY LURKEY! After that, I just couldnt...

BTW if you are into tats, you are gonna get one,  like Craig Ferguson has tats and he did those cause he loves the USA.

Doesnt matter what I say...in the end Guy Fieri will win the world, and we all know it, whether we like it or not. LOL

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

4 hours ago, lindag said:

I am an unabashed fan of The Pioneer Woman, as I have said before here when the subject came up (I belive it was in another thread).

I watch all her shows and I've cooked a number of her recipes, all of which were successful.

Her husband's family goes back several generations and they have acquired property for many years.

I love what the Drummonds are doing for their small town, building new businesses and giving people jobs.

They are involved with their schools, the businesses and their church.

They seem to me to be a very nice family...and if I were going to throw sh*t on people, it certainly wouldn't be them, there are millions of far better targets, just watch the news.

The Drummonds are changing the life of a small town in Oklahoma.  I know people she hires to work with her developing recipes for her shows.  Ree may not be the most exciting but she hires local.  Her folksy shtick may be offensive to some, I celebrate places that have retained their regional diction.  After I went away to south Florida for college I became my mom's Yankee son because I had lost my accent.  The Drummond family has become the 24th largest land owners in the state of Oklahoma.  Now, lindag when you come to visit. get in touch and I will drive.  Pawhuska is not that far.  I enjoy meeting other eGer's.  So all you big city folk, just know that your also invited.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I don't understand the relevance of the Pioneer Woman's fabulous wealth, or her husband's pedigree, or what all-around wonderful people they all are. Posters above were responding to the way she relates to food on her show or on her blog. If you like the way she relates to food, then bully for you. But the rest of it? Sort of a non-sequitur. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

After all

Martha Fellon

did her best to rehabilitate herself

after Prison duty for some time

doing This and That

possibly free show to PBS

to get some Brand Structure  

or not

for free to PBS

under the 12:00  PM notes

but her shows are still what there were and are now 

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

After all

Martha Fellon

did her best to rehabilitate herself

after Prison duty for some time

doing This and That

possibly free show to PBS

to get some Brand Structure  

or not

for free to PBS

under the 12:00  PM notes

but her shows are still what there were and are now 

But Martha can cook, she knows technique. I dont think Ree is a cook, as is proven by the tenderloin boiling witnessing above.

I believe Ree is manufactured. As for her folksiness, she was educated in LA as a journalist and gerontologist...

Guy Fieri attended Cordon Bleu

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I disagree a bit on Mrtha F being able to cook.

she is outstanding on pretending to cook .

and done a lot of work

through her employees to tell her what to do

Emeril , 

who was fundamental in establishing the Food Network

way back when

knew a few things and did well with them

but he claimed

to do BBQ Ribs

you had to first par-boil  the ribs for

tenderness.

just saying.

6 hours ago, lindag said:

I'm pretty sure that my family goes back several generations, as well.  In fact, I think every family goes back several generations, if not more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, IndyRob said:

I'm pretty sure that my family goes back several generations, as well.  In fact, I think every family goes back several generations, if not more.

How kind of you to point out my error,