• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst cooking show ever

lancastermike

"Punch it like it owes you money." LOL

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Although not always a set, weekly cooking series, cooking on live, local television can be a horrific experience for the cook and a devilish pleasure to the viewer.  I like to think that my many hours of preparation resulted in quality cooking segments when I cooked on live TV.  As least I think it did.  Unfortunately, this poor sap fell into the trap that snares so many folks when cooking on live, local television.  This clip has to be in the category, "Worst Cooking Show Ever."

• Like 3

I dunno.  I think I would trade any cooking skill I have for his ability to recover from a disaster on live TV.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

I dunno.  I think I would trade any cooking skill I have for his ability to recover from a disaster on live TV.

You know I agree with you.  At least he did his best, and it was live.  Much more worthy than the horrific crap that is being spewed out by Food Network Star.

• Like 3

Shit happens to the best.

It could have been much worse.

Given the chance to be on live TV — why in the world would one make something so uninteresting (and failure prone) in the first place!?

• Like 2

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yes, he was a very cheerful good sport about it, which made you pull for him and enjoy the video. :) Something I need to remember next time I am under pressure.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

That's one thing that doesn't scare me. As a kid, I was in 4H and one activity you can choose to do there is cooking demonstrations. These are live with a panel of judges just a few feet in front of your table. You learn pretty quickly how to keep talking and keep everything going smoothly within the allotted time.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, lindag said:

Worst show is any featuring Paula Dean or her sons!!!

Paula and her sons an hubby were on Celeb Family Feud. Hokey, Stereotypical behavior displayed tried to act sexual towards Steve Harvey! OMG its was awkward.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I saw her on one show where she tried to mount the cameraman!  She thinks she's funny, I don't think she has any common sense anymore.  No one want to see behavior like that.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Is there any reason Ian Knauer or P.Allen Smith have their own cooking shows?

These two shows are so yawn worthy. Not the "worst" but super boring.

You'll drive yourself crazy asking those kind of questions. xD

Food Network...why have cooking shows by Patricia Heaton and Valerie Bertinelli? Really?

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Is there any reason Ian Knauer or P.Allen Smith have their own cooking shows?

Money

• Like 1

I think that in having the Knauers and Smiths shows they are trying to cash in on the British Bake Off shows super calm vibs.  Everyone gets along. Even the worst screw up hardly upsets them for more than a minute.  That same vib translates to viewer  boredom  high on the ho hum scale on this side of the pond.  They seem to lack the ability to find a happy medium between the hyper types and the ones verging on comas.

They seem to be doomed to either having utterly stupid competitions or using  eye candy in aprons.

On 11/06/2016 at 0:07 PM, Anna N said:

I don't think it was televised, but Jacques Pepin had a great story about demo-ing souffles in front of a live audience at a trade show or some such venue (it's in his memoirs, IIRC). Somehow the oven's self-clean cycle was triggered, and of course once that happens the oven is locked. All he could do was point to the oven's window a few minutes in, and say "That! That is what it's supposed to look like when it's done!" ...and then vamp for a while as it burnt to a cinder. 

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'll just throw a blanket over the entire trend of kid cooking competition shows they're constantly parading out as my pick. I realize they're supposed to be endearing and cute... but they pretty much completely fail to achieve that. Nobody really buys into the idea that the grownups are doing all of those competition dishes on the fly at a moments notice with surprise ingredients or themes. I don't see how they can possibly buy into the idea that a bunch of very young kids are doing that.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'll just throw a blanket over the entire trend of kid cooking competition shows they're constantly parading out as my pick. I realize they're supposed to be endearing and cute... but they pretty much completely fail to achieve that. Nobody really buys into the idea that the grownups are doing all of those competition dishes on the fly at a moments notice with surprise ingredients or themes. I don't see how they can possibly buy into the idea that a bunch of very young kids are doing that.

Makes me wonder what kind of mental/self-worth issues these kids may have when they get older after being "chopped" on a televised cooking show? Can't be enriching or good!

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Makes me wonder what kind of mental/self-worth issues these kids may have when they get older after being "chopped" on a televised cooking show? Can't be enriching or good!

Gotta say - the couple I've caught - the kids handle losing a whole lot better than the adults!

• Like 5