• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst cooking show ever

lancastermike

Id love to see the True Finances involved in making a show like 'smoke'

sponsors, hotel kick-in, staff  .....

there has to be a great deal of  money involved.

it was on today.   it was sooooo bad, I took it off my Eye-TV recording list

and deleted the files I already had

that's a first for me.   Im pretty much addicted occasionally watch PBS cooking shows.

• Like 1

I took a quick look at Episode 102 - Shoulders and Bellies.  I was not impressed with the technique used for the pastrami, plus the meat didn't seem to be cooked very well.  I'd have liked to see that fat melted quite a bit more.  Very thin smoke ring.  Also, IMHO, pastrami should be made with brisket - at least that's what I know having spent my formative pastrami years in NYC.  Yes, I know that other cuts can and have been used.  Still, I've never seen belly used in a pastrami.

I like the earthy style of 'cue as put forth by so many of the more traditional bbq joints and pit masters, regardless of the style.

... Shel

The single worst one (at present) is "Cut Throat Kitchen" where Alton Brown (a great food entertainer once) introduces absurd challenges to the chefs.

Can't think of anything on Food Network that I have any interest in watching.   RR and Sandra Lee especially.

I do DVR "Knife Fight" on Esquire channel.  Real chefs, real kitchens, real food, real cooking and entertaining as well.  Like.

Well, Rachel Ray's daytime show is not a true cooking show; I don't know what it is, besides just about the worst program on TV.

She is so obnoxious in the way she talks over her guests, presumably because 'she's an expert on evrything'.

When I do watch her, it's only because I'm waiting for 'The View' to come on but her cooking segment is the only decent part of the show, which isn't saying much.

I cannot believe that ABS hasn't pulled the show yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The single worst one (at present) is "Cut Throat Kitchen" where Alton Brown (a great food entertainer once) introduces absurd challenges to the chefs.

Can't think of anything on Food Network that I have any interest in watching.   RR and Sandra Lee especially.

I do DVR "Knife Fight" on Esquire channel.  Real chefs, real kitchens, real food, real cooking and entertaining as well.  Like.

Could not agree more. Food Network what are you thinking? Huh. Sheesh.

Love knife fight though.

Gusto is my new food channel.

Im a(n) Fan addict for most PBS cooking shows.  not the ones before Noon, that involve Felon's, but most.  Ive read in the past that the Felon's shows were offered to

PBS for Free, as a sort of an Industrial Rehabilitation Project for a Brand that had faded etc.  Don't know much more myself.

but I did just now catch a few minutes of Jazzy Vegetarian.  Its on the PBS SD channel in my area.

it is indeed pretty awful.  if caped and broadcast in HD it might damage those more expensive camera's.  that's all I can make of the situation.

• Like 1

So Alton Brown questions Bourdain's skills and holds up a series of Good Eats shows as some kind of equivalent to running a restaurant and a CIA education?

http://greatideas.people.com/2015/08/12/alton-brown-camp-cutthroat-food-network-anthony-bourdain/

Seriously, Alton?

Edited by gfweb (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Food Network continues their string of horrific cooking shows by traipsing out Eddie Jackson's "BBQ Blitz."  The format is a rip-off of oh so many other shows, the cooks going on and on and on about their dishes and the host, Eddie Jackson of "Food Network Star" fame, appears as though he's dazed.  Poor sap probably thought his life was going to change after his celebrated win.  Uh, not so much.....................

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Oh, dear. That was bread?

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown