• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst cooking show ever

lancastermike

It sounds like Ree, for sure.  Her show is called "The Pioneer Woman Cooks", I believe.  She is a blogger who published a couple of cookbooks and now has her own show.  She is the wife of a cattle rancher and the show is filmed at their home.

Not Ree, I know her well, this was an older woman and not Kathy Mitchell either.

"Farmhouse Rules" with Nancy Fuller?

I don't think it's Sandra Lee (blonde) though the food sounds like hers. Maybe Sandra went red in one of her seasons...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

That looks like her, but with a bit more red hair.  

I did see Sandra Lee this morning, heck knows what channel they are trying to get me to add to my channel list because it only weird cooking programs and  religious stuff.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Horrid not sure mentioned? ( admitedly not read every page) The Jazzy Vegetarian

Seriously from the name, to her lack of talent to engage, the horrible food? I have no abillty to convey just how hirrid o think this show and person cooking on it is. So in an effort to " hold bavk" on how inrealky feel? I will elaborate no further!

" Cathy's Kitchen" anyone remember her? She made vegan fun ! I cooked my way through both her books and learned a lot.

I am strictly omnivorous but do have friends I adore cooking for who are of various desires to obstain from one thing or another.

Right now it is a couple of teens :) who are millitant vegan, so I am a nerd and try PBS first as catch up on what's cool these days in vegan...with Clinton and all ....TRIED Jazzy Vegetarian for several episodes ...argh she is WORSE than Christine Cooks who is just horrible, but has 1 or 2 good recipes..it isnt good or fun for teens at all...so far ..lbut i will keep looking

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Horrid not sure mentioned? ( admitedly not read every page) The Jazzy Vegetarian

Seriously from the name, to her lack of talent to engage, the horrible food? I have no abillty to convey just how hirrid o think this show and person cooking on it is. So in an effort to " hold bavk" on how inrealky feel? I will elaborate no further!

OMG !!! LOL

Its so bad!

Hummingbird? I urge you to look on youtube for vegan stuff. Most cooks can make more money quicker on youtube that waiting for their big TV breaks.

Im not Vegan but I really love watching Bhavna. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM4vLyVm4MPhS3o5o729Udg

Just substitute nut milks and vegan cheeses. Fabulous.

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Right? Just horrifying! I wanted to try PBS first it is where I got my start, it was our only choice other than cooking segments on other shows

Piglet 

Right now it is a couple of teens :) who are millitant vegan, so I am a nerd and try PBS first as catch up on what's cool these days in vegan...with Clinton and all ....TRIED Jazzy Vegetarian for several episodes ...argh she is WORSE than Christine Cooks who is just horrible, but has 1 or 2 good recipes..it isnt good or fun for teens at all...so far ..lbut i will keep looking

Check out Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. They started with a cooking show on Brooklyn Public Access Television and are now some of the best selling vegan food writers. Isa's website includes some recent video's. You can find somewhat dated old shows on youtube

Disclaimer: I'm not a teen anymore, so this might be a totally uncool suggestion anyway.

If the teens are not too young and listen to metal, they might enjoy Vegan Black Metal Chef. You probably want to check the volume level, before you start this video. Unless you dislike your closeby neighbours and have earpluggs available that is.

Hail seitan!

• Like 1

I'm going to be labeled a heretic because everyone loves Julia Child, but those last shows she did with the guy chef when she was about 90 years old and out of it were just sad and wrong.

I suspect you are correct - as Jacques is kind of liked around here too!

• Like 3

I'm going to be labeled a heretic because everyone loves Julia Child, but those last shows she did with the guy chef when she was about 90 years old and out of it were just sad and wrong.

I doubt very much that Julia Child ever did a a series with Fieri, you must be thinking of some Food Network spawned series.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

CeeCee   that Vegan Black Metal Chef should be in a Greatest cooking show ever  thread .    That was awesome.   " Seitan I release you from this prison!"  lmao 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

well TB

you missed the point of Jacque and Julia 

entirely.

I could say more

but well  there it is.

TBH I'm not being a smartass nor being sarcastic, but I missed the point as well - could you elaborate?

I watched The French Chef when I was younger (and reruns) when I was older. Always enjoyed and learned from the show,I think she was the original rockstar chef, her "OOPSIES" were priceless not as comedy, but as humanizing. I found watching her with Jacques saddening. I,m sure she wasn't doing it as a last claim to fame because in my mind she had never lost it. I realize we all get old (I'm a senior citizen) and lose some of our capabilities, but I'd prefer to remember how she made cuisine a household word. I also feel sorry for younger viewers whose sole exposure to Julia is that show.

p

ok I like talking about the bad shows and they speak for themselves ..just watch an episode!

with the Jazzy Vegetarian being the number one  worst for me on PBS right now

the second worst is

https://www.christinacooks.com

third worst is Christina Pirello is just awful to watch and her recipes are not at all inspiring  ..now she is dressed in Chef whites and "teaching" she is rude and hard to watch ..she is "dismissive" a trait I find less than engaging in a cooking show host. 

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/joanne-weirs-cooking-class/

I bumped into her literally.  at SeaTac airport, years ago ... and honestly she is as she appears on TV very sweet and "somewhere else" …she is polite but  she responds to you when you are talking like she is in some etherial space no one else can enter…sooo ..she was in an airport ..totally lost, confused and politely asked me for help .. with the gate she wanted right in sight…so with out giving her any idea I knew who she was I guided her to the place she wanted to be and knew when I did she had not connected with the gate and was going to wander off again …4 times over the next 2 hours I heard them paging her  " MS Joanne Weirs please return to the gate" the last time whomever was paging her sounded angry. 

I do not have The Cooking Channel or any of the extended cable channels so I am not familiar with wide variety of atrocious programing they offer. But from what I have read in this thread so far I am not missing much at all . 

I will say while I am one who adores Julia ..if I were younger, had no history with her .. only saw her latter shows and did not have the history …of learning to cook with her …I would have wondered what the heck was going on with the latter shows? they were to "us" a wonderful way to hold on to her and it was like visiting the great aunt who you so admired ..but honestly if you did not hold her and Pepin on a pedestal? how would we feel about those shows? Some where pretty awful …. I believe I have seen them all and agree if you did not "know" the icons you were watching?  how would you understand the meaning of what you were watching?  

Piglet 

Hummingbird? One day they will find Jazzy Vegetarian parked in her car at a rest stop singing the Mickey Dees theme song surrounded by empty Big Mac and McNuggets wrappers.

And Christina Pirello is NOT accessible, she just has an air of pretentiousness that makes you want to go out and buy a big juicy steak

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jazzy Vegetarian for several episodes ...argh she is WORSE than Christine Cooks who is just horrible, but has 1 or 2 good recipes..it isnt good or fun for teens at all...so far ..lbut i will keep looking

Hummingbird? The Jazzy Vegetarian is on the CREATE lineup. OMG Im gonna "hate watch" ! I need to see when shes on...lol

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 1 month later...

I hesitate to call this "worst"  and as you all know, Im hesitant to create controversy  (   :blink:  ) maybe I'll call this show really really bad  RRB ?

There is a new PBS show by Steven Raichlen :  Project Smoke

http://projectsmoke.mpt.org/home/

I know a little bit about BBQ and have had some personal experience.

so far, nothing that I have personally studied myself that he has cooked has been cooked to 'done-ness' on his show

you can tell when its cut.   this covers chicken, turkey, and pork.  although he claims its 'perfect'

why do I bother to mention this ?

the last show presented the last straw:  ep 104.  he uses Thermapen's to check the final temp.  its a sponsor.

he used the smaller version on this show to test a meat, the temp screen was turned away so that you could not see the final temp,

nor could he  yet the temp was perfect.

even the Test Kitchen shows you the 'perfect temp' even though its possible that that 'clip' is inserted and staged 

ive got no problem w sponsors.

but a show that  seems to just shill for a product  , we'll   ...........................

this might be it

take a peek if you can.

then consider another current PBS  BBQ show for comparison :

BBQ w Franklin

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-episodes/

• Like 1

correction:

I happen to see the set. I mentioned re the temp probe

he turns the face away, and only he can see it.

so there is that.

its a bit picky, I know.  but nothing Im familiar with seems to be properly cooked, and the only items used for cooking are sponsor products

and none are critically examined.