• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst cooking show ever

lancastermike

Okay, see this is what I wanna hear. I never heard a single bad thing about him so I just didnt understand the douche comments. But if hes treating people like crap that is douchey.

He's been in our area featuring dining joints twice.  According to the newspaper articles about the process, he was a lot of fun to meet and work with.  Granted, the owners might not have been forthright in their interviews if they'd hated him, but I doubt they would have been so effusive in their praise if he'd behaved badly.  

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Flay, seems like a nice enough guy to me.. i don't see the rudeness or cocky attitude people complain about..  Being a New Yorker maybe, i have a higher threshold.. My problem with Flay is, his shows are good, his plates on Iron Chef looked awesome.. i just don't like the food @ his restaurants. 

• Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Flay, seems like a nice enough guy to me.. .. i just don't like the food @ his restaurants. 

Good point. All of the meals I've had at his NYC places have been too sweet and a little too salty. And I'm a guy who salts my own stuff generously and doesn't mind a little sugar in a sauce.

I don't see him as rude either, he's just an amped-up New Yorker. Of all the people we are discussing, Flay is the one I'd be happy to have a beer with. And maybe Fieri.

I only like DDD, I dont watch GFs other shows.

I am 100% certain Flay and Conant are better chefs than GF. but I still am saddened by how Bobby treated Jack McDavid on Grillin and Chillin', I think it was his treatment of Jack that started the whispers of Bobby being a prick.

As for Scott Conant, if a person served Scott a perfectly cooked Cincinnati Five Way Chili on Chopped, Scott would take off points for the raw onions, even though they are an integral part of the dish  hed take off points for personal preference of hating raw onions! Thats wrong IMO.

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Hmmm... "He studied in France" could mean he attended two classes before he was thrown out.  It doesn't really say that he has any credentials.  I'd like to see proof before I could believe it.  But that's just because I think he's an arrogant, smart-ass douchebag.

Being a trained chef could mean, he was trained as a chef. That does not mean he is any good at being a chef. Just because you went to a school, does not mean you learned anything, just because you learned soemthing doesn't mean you can apply it. One of the funniest memories I have had being a caterer these last 10 years has been cooking a dinner to celebrate this room full of people who graduated a cooking school. Having no formal training myself, it just made clear the significance of going to cooking school.

All that being said, I don't think it would change my opinion of him either way, if I learned he was top of his class at the Le Cordon Blue. He would still be a grown man who spends too much time spiking his hair and dyeing his facial hair. And any cooking show he is affiliated with would still have recipes being fed to him by a committee of people. Guy is a celebrity Chef who is more heavy on the celebrity side than the chef said. He is not a chef who is celebrity, he is a celebrity who is a chef.

• Like 2

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

• 3 weeks later...

Companies plan closures without telling the local managers. Business is to go on as usual. Then they are done. This piece is purely a hit on Fieri...so what if a guy was hired three days ago.  Sucks for him, but that's the business.

Ew. I just stood-up for Fieri.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I often make pulled pork by cold smoking a shoulder or Boston butt and then cooking sous vide x 2 days.

BBQ or not?

If its the product that matters...I make BBQ pork.

If its the process that matters, I don't.

I have never has anything sous vide.   I don't want to pass judgement on your shoulder roast.  It isn't the old way to do it but it may taste great.  Seems like a lot of effort though. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

BBQ is as amorphous as pizza and debating the definition of BBQ on a forum like this is jut another boundless foray into authenticity arguments which I can only imagine has been done as nauseum on any topic here.

It's the process and the product. It's such a broad category it's impossible to strictly define on this medium. Cold smoked sous vide pork can be every bit as tender and flavorful as hot smoked BBQ. So why shouldn't it qualify? Texans will tell you no sauce is permitted, but just try to get away with that in saint Louis.

If it makes you feel better about it just insert the words "in the style of" before any questionable instance of "BBQ" and all your problems are solved.

This post is of course only mentioning a few styles of USA BBQ, and if you consider charcoal or fire or brazier cooked meals from around the world it should be obvious that dogmatic adherence to one BBQ style can't possibly describe the whole category. So why bother being so pedantic about it? It seems a little jingoistic.

With all that said the worst cooking show ever is Sandra lee and it's not really close.

Well said. CABA is juvenile, deeply stupid and embarassing. I stumbled into this great steaming turd of a show and watched about 10 minutes, waiting for it to get good. Any middle schooler with an iPhone would post better stuff on YouTube.

Advertisers pay for this? What's the demographic...morons?

Either Cooking Channel has absolutely no judgement (possible), or they have nothing original to show (probable), or they have complete contempt for their audience (likely).

Culinary Adventures of Baron Ambrosia is without question the worst cooking show.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

BBQ is ambiguous, so it's no surprise that there's so much disagreement about what really qualifies.

Barbeque can refer to:

1) an event - "Hey! We're having a barbeque at my house this weekend, and you're invited!"

2) a cooking implement / grill - "Let's throw another shrimp on the barbeque"

3) a cooking method involving smoke and low heat - "Let's barbeque this pork shoulder". This is distinct from grilling.

4) or the product of the cooking method involving smoke and low heat "Let's eat some barbeque."

5) a style of sauce that can be applied to grilled, baked, fried, or barbequed foods "No honey mustard with my McNuggets -- I'll have barbeque please."

There are probably even more meanings for the term than these. People like to get pedantic and correct everyone about what is and is not barbeque, and given that most people don't bother to use language with precision, this leads to lots of unnecessary arguments. It does irk me when people refer to grilling as barbequing, but the people who do this are also not likely to ever own or use a smoker, so I just leave it alone and move on with my life.

What difference, at this point, does it make?

Barbecue or barbeque...there isn't even agreement on the spelling...that should tell you something!!!  :smile:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

So last weekend I watched the first installment of The Worst Cooks in America, now hosted by Anne Burrell and a chunkier Tyler Florence.  Words fail me in describing how truly awful it is.  Chock full of freaks and geeks, "artists" and characters, there is not one normal or likeable contestant in the bunch.  It's gone from mildly entertaining to cringeworthy in three seasons.

• Like 2

This is probably only of interest to Canadians but we watched the first episode of season 2's Chopped Canada. It was abysmal. The judges act like juvenile idiots and the host is smarmy. And the contestants - surely they can do better? I know a chef who tried out for the show. He was not accepted and when I asked him why he replied "I didn't have a good enough sob story". Seems the producers have that as a requirement to qualify for the show so the contestants can go on ad infinitum about how they are doing this for their dead mother or grammy or whomever who died 20 years ago. I get cross just thinking about the 45 or so minutes I wasted which could have been better spent watching or doing something else.

• Like 1

The sob story has been de rigueur on Chopped for years now.  A beloved deceased grandmother/father (preferably an immigrant) for whom the contestant is playing, being the favorite.  Having a misspent youth or a period of homelessness runs a close second.  After that, the themes are first responders, lunch ladies, grannies, teens, television personalities and the hosts themselves competing for charity. 

• Like 2

I wish they'd just lose that part of the show.  I don't need to know about the chefs' pasts (mad-up or otherwise), I just want to see if they can cook.  I've pretty much stopped watching most of the episodes just for that reason.

I don't know how many of you have been around long enough to remember the show "Queen for a Day" from the mid to late fifties.  The wretched sob stories of those women (most of which I'll bet were fictional) brought the show to a ridiculous end.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

So last weekend I watched the first installment of The Worst Cooks in America, now hosted by Anne Burrell and a chunkier Tyler Florence.  Words fail me in describing how truly awful it is.  Chock full of freaks and geeks, "artists" and characters, there is not one normal or likeable contestant in the bunch.  It's gone from mildly entertaining to cringeworthy in three seasons.

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

"So last weekend I watched the first installment of The Worst Cooks in America, now hosted by Anne Burrell and a chunkier Tyler Florence.  Words fail me in describing how truly awful it is.  Chock full of freaks and geeks, "artists" and characters, there is not one normal or likeable contestant in the bunch.  It's gone from mildly entertaining to cringeworthy in three seasons."

Once again, it's a case of too many clowns, not enough circuses!

• Like 1