• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst cooking show ever

lancastermike

Cupcake Wars. Anyone placing collard greens into a dessert pastry needs to be fired. Into the sun.

The absence of Rachael "I can't even make toast!" Ray suggests she has returned to the dank pit of the abyss from whence she spawned. Either that, or it's default assumed.

Two pages of hate and NOBODY has mentioned Guy Fieri. Granted, he doesn't do a lot of cooking on his "cooking" shows. But he and Sandra Lee are the two FoodTV hosts I cannot sit through. I would rather watch what's on Home Shopping Network than a single minute of Guy Fieri.

Fieri himself may be only marginally less unpleasant than hydrochloric acid exposure (it's itchy!), but Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is a fairly respectable sort of show. The restaurants feature above-average or unusual food, and he's decent to the owners and staff. Not notably intellectual, but good to watch at 11PM on the treadmill.

I'm sure I'm way behind the times, but Paula Dean would cause me to freeze like a reindeer in highlights, stricken by shock and horror. A woman who has made a name for herself in cooking because she uses a lot of butter, what would France say?

"You should be using higher quality butter. And no processed ingredients!"

I second cupcake wars. I leave it on while I make dinner, but it got replaced with Seinfeld reruns. Even though I hate that show, I always thought it was amusing because in the first round there is always a pair or morons who make the most disgusting cupcakes then get immediately sent home. I still laugh at the old baker man who though it was a good idea to, not only make a cupcake with tuna fish, but pipe a border around the cupcake with nothing but pure jarred mayonnaise, I was shocked he didn't make it into the final round.

I'm not sure, but has Secrets of a Restaurant Chef been mentioned? Theres something I dont like about Ann Borell, I feel like shes trying waaaay too hard to be young and hip for her age.

I'm not sure, but has Secrets of a Restaurant Chef been mentioned? Theres something I dont like about Ann Borell, I feel like shes trying waaaay too hard to be young and hip for her age.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!! Yes! And that guttural "mmmmmm" is getting as tired as Emeril's "Bam" and Rachel's "Yummo" did.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the food Anne Burrell prepares on her "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" looks great, but...

I swear I will explode from empathetic high blood pressure if I continue to see her throw fistfuls of salt into whatever she's cooking. And what's worse are the times she throws in a fistful of salt and then goes back to the bowl o' salt to grab another fistful. :shock::sad:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Will someone help us, please. Reruns of Guy vs. Rachel, Celebrity Cook-Off remind me why I won't be watching the new season tommorrow.

I believe she used to be a primary school teacher --- and it shows. She's scatterbrained, too.

Her delivery and her lousy Italian accent bother me, as well. My Italian SIL and I used to watch her and laugh at some of the things she made and the mess she made. Of course, my SIL would always toss in "My nonna never did it that way!"

• 3 weeks later...

We have a new low for cooking programs--and over-saturated celebrity Chefs. "Ramsay Behind Bars." Billed as "Gordon sets up a food business in a London prison and teaches inmates how to cook."

Brilliant.

I just watched Ramsey's show. I kind of liked it but will have to see it next week to see if it's worth getting invested in.

Given the profanity, (which seemed to outweigh legible language), I couldn't see or understand the value in it all. I like Gordon when he's cooking. Just cooking.

Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee is by far the worst show, IMHO!!!

The "cooking" is bad enough, but her constant dictating "Now I want you to...", "Now I want you to...", "Now I want you to..." puts it WAY over the top as far as bad shows go.

It makes me cringe!!!!!!!

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

She strikes me as more vainglorious than airheaded.

She did have the intellectual wherewithal to found Kurtain Kraft! LOL :laugh:

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I just watched Ramsey's show. I kind of liked it but will have to see it next week to see if it's worth getting invested in.

Given the profanity, (which seemed to outweigh legible language), I couldn't see or understand the value in it all. I like Gordon when he's cooking. Just cooking.

I hate to be the one to break it to you Dave, but prisoners swear a lot. :wink: I liked it that given Gordon's brother was imprisoned for many years, he wants to help the inmates learn a trade. He's teaching them to cook, to follow direction and to work together.

Sandra Lee gets a bad rap. I don't watch her show, but she has really pulled herself up by her bootstraps. She was raised in poverty, abandoned as a child by her mother and raised her siblings on her own. Her style of 'cooking' is geared for those who don't cook, don't particularly like to cook, but have a family to feed.

As scoffed at upthread, she began the Kraft Kurtain business while in college and became a millionaire in her own right as a young woman. She deserves our admiration for making the best of a bad situation as a young woman and beating the odds.

• 9 months later...

I present to thee a clip from "Maru Botana," an Argentine cooking show.

The whole thing is an abomination but the really juicy stuff starts about 4:20.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 2 months later...

But with five less watchable people making meh food and working their Food Network-approved "brands."

And only the latest in a line of shows the FN/CC have ripped off (Top Chef, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares).

Edited by hsm (log)
  • Like 1

I find that I'm liking Canadian Top Chef. But, then, I'm pretty much a sucker for any of the better shows.

Can't watch Guy Fier, Anne Burrell, Rachel Ray or Sandra Lee. In fact, Rachel, stop waving your fat little hands in front of the camera!!!!

• Like 1

I taped a few episode of Mexican Made Easy with the Mexican Rachel Ray, Marcela Valladolid.. She literally made, spaghetti tacos the other day. Took angel hair pasta, added a couple of tomatoes, threw in some queso fresco and called it Mexico City Tacos. She took vegetable soup from a can, added a Serrano pepper, made some meatballs that consisted of cilnatro, rice, and ground beef and called it Mexican Meatball Soup.

Just shocking that was what she took the time to make. I see her as, the next big Food Network Star. She has the looks of Giada and the annoying personality of Rachel Ray.

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Has anyone seen the 'Kitchen'? Seems like Food Network wants to copycat 'The Chew'.

I've never seen The Chew, but I did catch about 30 seconds of The Kitchen. I thought it was a spoof, then realized it wasn't. That's when I hit the remote.

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.